Keeping nest box for eggs only!

• 3 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Keeping nest box for eggs only!
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:32 »
You knew I'd be back, didn't you?!

OK, first problem. The underchicken of our 4 new girls (the Columbian coloured Light Sussex hybrid in the picture) always goes to bed first. And where she likes to sleep is in the nest box. I believe that I should strongly discourage this, because it means a messy nestbox and dirty eggs. So for the time being I have blocked off the nestbox with cardboard, and she is perching on the perches with the other chooks. Fine.

The only trouble is that our ISA Brown is just over 20 weeks old (the other girls are only 16 weeks) and she might be thinking about laying us an egg soon, I imagine. How can I discourage Ethel from sleeping in the nest box but leave it accessible for Jean when she wants to lay?

Should we build a little hidey hole elsewhere in the run, just in case? Steve is very handy and is enjoying creating structures for the birds.

Your advice eagerly sought!
HEN_0001.JPG
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Keeping nest box for eggs only!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:37 »
Hello Jane,
Is the nest box only big enough for one hen at the time?  If so, another would be ideal, as some hens take up to three hours to lay an egg.  (It's as if they know an egg is coming, but not sure when.)
cathangirl

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:10 »
If you remove the cardboard, does she go back to sleeping in the nestbox ?

You could try replacing her on the perch for a couple of nights just to remind her if she does. According to those who've had similar problems, it does work eventually. :)

It may work if you let them settle down then return after a couple of hours to remove the card. I wouldn't have thought she'd swap once she's settled.

Rob  8)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:22 »
If you remove the cardboard, does she go back to sleeping in the nestbox ?

You could try replacing her on the perch for a couple of nights just to remind her if she does. According to those who've had similar problems, it does work eventually. :)
we have to replace ours every night - it does work sometimes, but it's not a huge hassle to lift the lid and shove her over to the correct place....  once they're on the perch, they don't go back to the nest box (until the next night)
also, think about the fact that sometimes your chicken will want to lay an egg before you've got to the coop, so she'll be struggling if she can't get to the nest box...
It may work if you let them settle down then return after a couple of hours to remove the card. I wouldn't have thought she'd swap once she's settled.
and that too.
 :D

xx
Eggs out of Nest

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:40
by splash101
xx
eggs in nest box

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 17:27
by joyfull
xx
going in nest box but no eggs!

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 09:51
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
Nest building still no eggs!

Started by ness on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 12:07
by ness

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.