help in positioning veg in new plot

• 3 Replies

scezy

help in positioning veg in new plot
« on: March 24, 2009, 15:05 »
Hi just scrounged a small area of the inlaws garden to grow a few vegetables on.And was wondering if anyone could plan where things should go(companion growing/group growing/things that should be grown next to things to keep the disease/pests down)If not to much trouble.
Plot size is about 30 feet longX10feet wide,there has been a few vegetables grown there a few years ago.I'm just in the middle of digging/weeding it over,i have noticed there are allot of worms in the soil(so i'm hoping this is a good sign).Things i would like to grow are,beans,peas,carrots,spuds,lettuce,cauliflower,swede,beetroot,and maybe a couple of other things if i can fit them in.
I have been looking at some of the threads but still not sure about this,also would like to hear of any tips i should use to aid the growth and protection of the vegetables.
Thanks  Scezy

noshed

Re: help in positioning veg in new plot
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 15:25 »
Hi Scezy
I wouldn't worry too much about positioning, except to go by what it says on the seed packets re spacing.
You can have serried ranks or an anarchic mix. It's up to you. Bear in mind you'll have to weed round things.
Spuds take up a fair bit of room so I wouldn't grow many of them. Lettuce and stuff you can sow a few at a time so you have a constant supply and they will fit in round other things.
If you grow climbing beans you gain extra space by having a wigwam or whatever. Cauliflower are quite hard to grow - you have to make sure they never go dry. But have a go anyway.
Dig it all over as you are doing, then fling a bit of blood, fish and bone around.
You can sow most things now, apart from runner beans, unless you are in Orkney.
Marigolds and other flowers help to attract beneficial insects and look nice. Don't forget herbs!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 21:34 »
Hi, good advice from Noshed, i would add follow a basic rotation plan ie: roots, brassicas, others. Divide your plot roughly into 3 for the different groups.

scezy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 22:48 »
Thanks for your help.
Regards  Scezy

xx
Fig Positioning

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2016, 23:10
by mumofstig
xx
Fruit tree positioning

Started by jrko on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
xx
positioning of a cold frame

Started by ruralbob on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 13:53
by aelf
xx
Blueberry bush on the lotty - positioning it.

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 16:31
by Paulj

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 27 queries.