Blueberry bush on the lotty - positioning it.

• 5 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Blueberry bush on the lotty - positioning it.
« on: May 12, 2013, 11:54 »
I've got a potted blueberry bush which we would like to add to the lotty.  I know they need acidic soil so my question is how close can I put it next to other plants such as raspberries or blackberries as the area they are in is the only space available now.  The soil isn't acidic so I know I'll have to add stuff to it to make it acidic, but don't want to damage he other plants nearby.

Beetroot queen

Re: Blueberry bush on the lotty - positioning it.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48 »
My poor bush needs some tlc it survives but only just, it obviously doesn't like the soil where it is.

Someone suggested half a pint of malt vinegar.  ???

starry

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:50 »
I have five blueberry bushes in with goose berry and blackberry bushes, and they do fine I  put some pine needles in with them when I planted them  (as alys fowler ?) and put a few around them as a mulch no problems with the surrounding bushes :)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 14:51 »
How much work you need to do to give it the acidic conditions it needs obviously depends on how much lime there is in your soil to start with.

You may struggle to provide the right conditions for very long in a chalky soil, but for soils which are already slightly acidic digging a hole at least 1 foot wide and deep and planting in a mixture of ericaceous compost and soil should do the trick. In future years, dressing with sulphur chips or powder and mulching with pine needles or moss peat will help keep the pH low.
Make sure they get rainwater rather than tap water, especially if yours is hard.

You really should have two different varieties planted close to each other to get good pollination, and you will need to think about netting them as the fruits ripen because blackbirds in particular love them.  ::)

I've had my two plants for at least 5 years now and they produce well despite an on-going struggle to keep the pH in the recommended range.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 16:28 »
I built a 1m x 1m square bed using those little short fences you can buy at garden centres and filled it with ericascious (sp) compost.
My asparagus bed is one side of the square bed and there is a random bed on the other side.
I don't think much of the acid leaches out.
I grew good PSB in the random bed last year and they like alkaline soil. ;)

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 16:31 »
That's all good to hear. Will have to get the compost this week a I couldn't today, but will move it into its new position this week. Thanks for the help everyone!

xx
blueberry bush

Started by jon_mac on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:17
by karooba007
xx
Blueberry bush

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 21:13
by Yorkie
xx
Blueberry bush??

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 05:56
by parsley
xx
Blueberry bush ID

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 13:31
by Lardman

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.