Rhododendrons

• 3 Replies

lilou

Rhododendrons
« on: March 24, 2009, 14:23 »
In a terrific gust of wind yesterday, my rhododendron was snapped off at the base.  I planted it about 3 years ago and it was about 3 ft high.  There were a few hair like roots visible, so I have taken off a couple of the lower branches and replanted, this time heavily staked.  What else can I do and what are the chances of survival?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 15:02 by Aunt Sally »

Trillium

Re: Rhododendrons
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 17:38 »
Rhodos are quite shallow rooted so its hard to say whether or not the replant will take. First of all, rhodos HATE wind so you're not in a good spot for long life of that plant. If possible, move to somewhere sheltered from wind and in light shade both of which they much prefer. They also love acid soil though not quite as acid as blueberries love it. Mulching with pine needles if available helps, and add lots of water regularly and some fertilizer for acidic plants. And wait.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 17:42 »
I think it'll be more likely to regrow from the roots than from the cuttings, especially at this time of year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 19:09 »
Because ther are evergreen rhodos lose a lot of water from their leaves in the wind so it will be tricky to grow from a cutting unless you can shelter it and remove lots of leaves. Hope the roots regrow for you
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Rhododendrons

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2020, 23:03
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 28 queries.