What Would You Do?

• 30 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 22:15 »
One of the reasons I'd like a full plot is one day I'd love to get a greenhouse, don't have room at home for one and I love propagating and my toms would be safer in there too.

Plus I'm always thinking to myself, if I just had a bit more room....

I'm just a bit lazy I think.  Thinking I'd have to start over.

Who knows if I had a full plot I might still say if I had a bit more room....

Don't worry She'sinthegarden you didn't put my back up.  Other people have happened to mention what they are like, and they're on the committee too.  They say there is no need of that kind of behaviour.  I tend to agree.  Everyone has their own way of doing things and I kind of think that the whole point of allotmenting, to customize your piece of land how you want it, not to all look identical.

I have had a bit of a chuckle to myself, I have to admit.  One of them mentioned that some had what he calls graves on his plot.  Thing is I know what he means, and I had planned and have actually done the same thing.  Basically lots of beds with paths between.  At least he has a reason to moan now, but do I care it makes my life easier.  And if I got a full plot I'd do the same again!
Teen

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 22:17 »
If I had more room I'd have a flower bed too, somewhere to attract beneficial insects.  Can you imagine what they'd say about that!!!???

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 22:49 »
I'll be doing sweet peas and roses. My garden at home is too shady and I really want some.
If your neighbours are really bleuch - I'd move.
I was having a chuckle with a friend who's younger than me and she is at the end with the much older guys. They were tutting at her raised beds but they're not laughing now - her neighbour kindly gave her some broad bean plants he didn't need. Her plants are loads better looking than his. :D
S.i.t.g.

Can you eat that?

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 23:05 »
If you fancy a flower  bed,  grow edible ones.

I do understand the worry about neighbors, I've just taken over a plot from an old boy who has been there forever. He's downsized from 5 to 1. And my plot is next door to his.

So far I have failed to  bump into him, although I can see he's been down.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 00:32 »
I'd swap now, if boss is willing....
He may not be quite as willing or fancy the disruption once he's settled in himself on the full plot, especially considering his age - as you can imagine, not fancying it yourself  ;)
You can have your greenhouse, flowerbed etc...and more space to toy with. Go for it!
Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 00:43 by iwantanallotment »

Brambles

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 03:46 »
It's got to be the new plot!   With the extra time you spend there because of the far better atmosphere... you will get the place ship shape in no time at all, and you will enjoy all your time there :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 07:56 »
I have to say I am starting to feel excited about it and I shouldn't.  So I've asked the secretary of the Allotment Society about it to make sure we would be allowed to swap, before my hopes are raised anymore and before I go a head and ask my boss if he wants to.  Who knows he might say no.

I feel a little let down really because you would think they would have asked me if I wanted a full size plot when they created the new ones wouldn't you.  I feel a bit stupid for not even thinking to ask before.  I guess I was happy to think I was getting on top of things at the end of my first year there.

Well I'll let you know the outcome if there is one.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06 »
Well just found out I can't go ahead with a swap so all this topic was for nothing unfortunately.

This is why "Unfortunately it is't possible to swap plots between the existing site and the new site as WWDC are running the new plots at the moment and when the councils move to the new Wiltshire County Council they will be running it.  We did have discussions with WWDC about running the site in addition to our own but the new council want to review allotments across the county before they discuss it further with us".

Is this slightly confusing or what?  Two separately run allotments in one area.  I bet everyone in the new plot is assuming they are part of our plot.  Ours is run by the association, since about a year ago after taking over from the council.

I shall just have to put up with the oldies, unfortunately and my boss will have to cope with what he has, afterall, chosen for himself.

Greasehog

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 08:48 »
Put up a high fence!! that way you won't see the oldies!!!  ;)
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

paintedlady

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44 »
Instead of swapping, how about sharing?  I share a half plot with friends, and under the agreement with the council, if either of us decides to give up, the other will automatically have the whole plot (well, that was the original agreement before the waiting list and a whole load of new rules appeared, such as maximum plot space per household came into force.)

As for ploughing/clearing off the turf .... hmmmmm, I wouldn't count on it but if it is a new site, they may just do it the once.  On my site, if a plot had been vacant for a while, the council offer to "clear" the plot but usually means a tractor that does more damage to the soil structure, grinds in any broken glass and nicely disperses a load of nightmare perennial weeds, and all in their timetable which could be up to 6 months of the offer  ???  It would be a shame for the only decent top soil to be scraped off and then having to spend a fortune on repairing the damage.  I personally would recommend virgin plots - my half plot had been cultivated on continuously for over 50 years and is a nightmare of pests and diseases, whereas the big plot had been one of the first plots abandoned when allotmenteering started to lose popularity because of its location, yet my first year's crops were a great success.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:47 by paintedlady »
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 11:56 »
I've been up my plot today and found it quiet if I go fairly early.  I may try to go up every Saturday morning early.  I quite enjoyed the piece and quiet if I'm honest.  I'm not a fan of hot weather either so it suits me quite well.

Then at about 10 everyone and their kids all turned up.  I left at 11.  I was tired anyway and I'd been left in relative peace and got another bed dug. 

I think I just have to work out when I'm least likely to bump into them and go then.  Mind you I've noticed that they seem preoccupied with sticking their nose into anyone looking at the new plots, so that kept them out of the way for a bit. 

I did notice that the "know it all guy" who can be annoying and hard to get rid of, was being annoyed by a little girl talking to him constantly when he was trying to work.  Revenge in small packages  :D

I do quite like my plot if I am completely honest, and it is becoming more how I want it.  It would be a shame to move after all that hard work wouldn't it.  I don't think I'd really have time for anything bigger. 

Christine

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 12:06 »
It's not just you that has annoying neighbours look see. It's taken a couple of seasons on site for the rest here to discover that Over 60 and Under 65 female can run a plot of her own, has the ability to ask questions, ignore answers, grow lots her own way and generally give as good as she gets.

Just wait till you have had some good harvests and then see how the annoying neighbours see you.  :nowink:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 20:40 »
Yeah, I'm still pretty new to it all really and I make lots of mistakes.  Mind you I'm sure the most experienced veg gardener has his/her off days/years.

The good thing about making mistakes is that I learn from them and that's what's important and makes you a good gardener I think.  Not going around pointing out everyone elses!

Perhaps I will come up with ways to wind them up, and hopefully annoy them a little  ;)

coo!

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 20:50 »
aim to be the most annoyin person there then your neighbours wont seem as bad! :D
Face your Fears .............
............Live your Dreams

Never eat yellow snow

iwantanallotment

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 01:58 »
Instead of swapping, how about sharing? 

I'm sorry to hear your news, Teen. What a disappointment, and yes it makes no sense.
As the lady ^^ said - why not offer to share?
The full plot may well prove to be too much for your elderly boss, and I'm certain he would appreciate your company, too? And the seed swapping/seedling sharing etc that goes along with it? (I'm guessing this is how allotments go? :blush: )
Then you'd have 2 half plots, albeit apart...and 2 sets of neighbours!
Is this a viable proposition? I can't see why not, and it could benefit all.
Just because your existing half plot is with the Association, doesn't mean you can't have another within a different body  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:05 by iwantanallotment »

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 28 queries.