What Would You Do?

• 30 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
What Would You Do?
« on: March 20, 2009, 21:20 »
Hello all,

I have a bit of a dilemma and would just like some opinions just to help me make my mind up ha ha

OK here goes.  My allotment is in the process of making an additional 42 new plots.  My Boss has acquired one and he's 75!  He's slightly regretting it because its a huge plot and its a distance from the car park and anything else.

I have a half plot near many annoying people, but I've started getting it how I want it and have raspberries and a shed etc on it now.  But the people are really annoying and make me not want to go to my plot just because of that.

I would like a full plot eventually.  Just didn't think an opportunity would arise quite so soon.

I'm in two minds can you tell.  I'd really like to get away from the annoying ones, but it would be quite an upheaval to do so.  I haven't mentioned it to my boss but was contemplating asking if he'd like to swap with me.

What would you do?
Teen

MoreWhisky

Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 21:23 »
Go and move next to a new set of annoying people  ;)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Greasehog

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 21:36 »
I'd swap allotments.
 If you want to get a bigger plot your going to have to move eventually, transfer all your stuff to the new plot.  If your fairly new at your half then you won't have too much to transfer over!

Simples!!!!!!
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 21:38 »
That's funny.   :tongue2:  I wondered if the new neighbours might be annoying, but could they be any more annoying than those guys?  Hmm not sure.

They're on the committee, and one of them is the chairman, and been on a 6 year degree.  Pity he hasn't learnt anything ha ha

I'd be ok if they just left me alone and ignored me, but they seem to be watching me and asking where I've been.  I think they forget I'm not retired and have lots of things to do in my life!  I would be up there more often if they didn't bother me, put it that way.

Greasehog

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 21:41 »
Go and sit in the other plot for a while and see what the people are like.....
Try before you buy :)

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 21:43 »
You sound like Aleksandr, founder of comparethemeerkat.com, Greasehog !!  I like him too.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea until I think I've got the shed, the compost heap and contents, the patio slabs, the raspberries, the rhubarb, and anything I've forgotton to move to the new plot about a mile away ha ha

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 21:44 »
I'd swap  :happy:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 21:46 »
I would try that Greasehog except it still just looks like a field until next week.  The neighbours don't move in til then.  Actually I don't even know if the council will make the plots or if we'd have to dig it up ourselves.  I'd imagine the council would at least take the turf off. :blink:

I'm taking a gamble, yes?

Greasehog

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 21:51 »
You sound like Aleksandr, founder of comparethemeerkat.com, Greasehog !!  I like him too.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea until I think I've got the shed, the compost heap and contents, the patio slabs, the raspberries, the rhubarb, and anything I've forgotton to move to the new plot about a mile away ha ha
 lol
It won't take long to move everything... At least with brand new neighbours and plot it'll be a fresh start....

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 21:56 »
I would hope that they give it a proper ploughing, then mark out the new plots.

How about getting both? You can keep the perennials on whichever plot has the worst neighbours!  :tongue2:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 21:56 »
Well so far the public opinion seems to be swaying towards the "go for it" vote.  So perhaps I'll just ask my boss and see what he thinks.  He might even say no thanks I don't want yer neighbours either and that will be the end of it anyway.  Or he might jump at the chance.  I just hope he doesn't want me manure cause I'm such a tight bum I'll be taking that too!!!!

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 21:59 »
I'm gonna let you into a little secret, I put this dilemma on another forum and you guys have been far more helpful and far more interested than the other.  Just reminds me that this forum is the best!  As if I didn't know  ???

Greasehog

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 22:00 »
LOL....
Take the lot....
The council should plough it up nice if you ask them.... :)

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 22:01 »
I'd spend some time giving your boss a hand on his plot (Brownie points as a bonus!). That way, you get to assess your new neighbours before you go to the hassle of moving. If you're happier up your boss's end - I'd move. Half the fun of having an allotment is getting to know new people. It's great to be somewhere where there are other people who like growing stuff and don't glaze over when you mention chitting potatoes.

Noticed your user name. On the other hand, and at the risk of putting your back up, are you sure you're not being over-sensitive about your neighbours? It's always fairly tough being the 'newby'. Are they just making small talk/ being old codgers? Can't you laugh them out of it? There are some 'traditionalists' on the site I'm on. We do things differently, but I've learned a fair bit (always doing what I think best in the end though - whether it's my idea or theirs). I can't WAIT to see their faces when I paint my shed and raised beds green and stamp cream flowers on them. :ohmy: However, they did all see me breaking all the plot over with a mattock last weekend, so I think I have SOME respect. ;)
S.i.t.g.

Bombers

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 22:06 »
 I would ask, do you need the extra space for veg/fruit? or are you more concerned about the neighbours. I know it would be a lot of extra work at first, but look at what can be achieved on a new plot. Could you see yourself in  2 -3 years time looking back and wishing you had taken it on? ....... If the answer to that is yes, you know what to do. ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.