New chickens installed. Question....feeder in or out.............

• 7 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
My four ladies are installed and slept together on a lovely piece of silver birch I cut down and put across the shed width as they didn't like the perch I had made out of 3 x 2 even though I had shaved off the corners. It was too adjacent to the nesting boxes. Anyway this morning they were perched all the poo had landed on the paper underneath so very easy to clean up. Just let them out in to the run do you folk leave the feeder in the shed as my poultry supplier said and leave the water outside? They have a poop hole to go in and out of and all but one of them have been outside. They seem just a bit chittery with the crows nearby making a noise nestbuilding at the moment. I have a trellis frame over the run which is 12 x 6 with chicken wire on top of that so the birds shouldn't get in. I will get a photo up asap. All advice gratefully recieved. My 8 yr old daughter is up at 6am wanting to go and see her girl friends, I am surprised how tame they are allowing her to stroke them and feed them. 8)
Mad Mark

andreadon

• My Diary
we leave the feeder and drinker outside in the run.
less messy that way.

glad to hear your girls have settled in so easily! think it means a  :mad:  is not long coming, when you find out they're not really that well behaved!!

Roughlee Handled

I always have my feeder and water outside. I do not move it inside at night and chickens do not require it.  One point is you should make sure that your feed does not get wet or damp. As this can cause allot of health issues.  You can get "rain hats" for your feeders.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

andreadon

• My Diary
or stick them under a bench or table.

Roughlee Handled

Just as long as the feed does not get damp or wet then anything will do.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
The only reason I thought to keep the food inside the shed is to discourage rats which my wife is paranoid we are going to get now with four chickens in my old shed. I am the CCSS, as my older teenager daughters have christened me. I will let you lot work that out, let me know your suggestions. Thanks ever so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

Roughlee Handled

If you have chickens you gonna get Rats or mice.  Just put some bait down, covered of course but I see you have asked the question else where.

Vember

If you leave food in the house the rats will eat away at the shed to get in  >:( 

Sarah :)

xx
Another feeder question!

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 14:57
by grinling
xx
I have just seen a mouse eating out of my chickens feeder

Started by ells chickens on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 12:29
by nzdunn
xx
question about chickens

Started by goldensmurf on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 11:36
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Chickens in garden question

Started by keepers_cottage on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 22:11
by Bruced

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 27 queries.