Help lighting a greenhouse heater

• 8 Replies

Elcie

Help lighting a greenhouse heater
« on: March 15, 2009, 16:29 »
This probably seems like a really silly question but please help!  How do I light my greenhouse heater?  Really excited to have purchased one (especially as I got 20% off!!) but the instructions on lighting are not clear.  It is a 682 Superwarm 4, quite a popular model I understand so hopefully someone has one and can help.

We have put in the paraffin and the wick has been soaking.  Do we take off the chimney, raise the wick and light the wick at the bottom?  What are the consequences when you then put the chimney back on ?  I am assuming that as it is paraffin and not petrol the paraffin doesn't set light!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Help lighting a greenhouse heater
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 16:37 »
Take the chimney off , raise the wick, light and lower it again.  Put the chimney back on and look at the level of the flame, it must be very low or you will get smoke and everything will go black.  There should be a diagram of how the flame should look on the instructions.  Look again after 15 minutes to make sure the flame is still at the correct level.
Cheese makes everything better.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 17:21 »
Ice you are a star thank you.  That is what we thought but myself and OH were both a bit worried about lighting the wick and then lowering it down.  Guess we will get used to it after a while.
There is a picture in the instructions that says to look through the slot in chimney so we will do that once we have lit it.  I have also read on here lots of advice about making sure the flame is low so that we don't smoke the poor plants out!
Thanks again, going to try it tonight or tomorrow night.  Just want to take the edge off the overnight chill in the greenhouse really.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 17:26 »
If you've got it right there will be no soot stuck on the inside the chimney after use.  Have you double glazed with bubble wrap?  I find it very useful to do in winter.

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 17:50 »
If you've got it right there will be no soot stuck on the inside the chimney after use.  Have you double glazed with bubble wrap?  I find it very useful to do in winter.

No will probably do that next year as I will likely start earlier and earlier!  Really just want to use it to keep the frost off at night so that I can reclaim some of the windowsills indoors and put my seedlings out there once they have grown a bit!

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16 »
i got a greenhouse other week and the bloke gave me a parrafin heater what i found round here is to get hold of parrafin, b&q dont sell it nor petrol stations or gardening tool places . i found one little firm and it was $7.00 --pounds for a tub.......... :wub:

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 15:54 »
OK, I bought the heater and paraffin which together cost about £35.  We finally plucked up the courage to light it, thinking we had followed instructions, and about 3 minutes later the base had a flame coming out of it.  What did we do wrong?  I don't want to waste £35 for a heater that we are too scared to use!

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 15:14 »
may be because your too scared ;).. it wont kill you well that's if you do it outside and not in your house cos you don't want to  burn the house down  :blink: .  its like a candle easy.. the wick soaks up the paraffin and burns away keep the wick short or you get black sutt coming off it  .. i would have another read of the destruction's .. cant be too hard

sean moore

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 16:18 »
gaz
 how much for paraffin i get mine  from the local iron mongers 3.99 a gallon

xx
greenhouse lighting

Started by agapanthus on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 12:56
by agapanthus
xx
greenhouse heater

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 10:26
by thecakebaker
xx
How to use a greenhouse heater

Started by min200 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 08:11
by Gwiz
xx
Greenhouse Heater ?

Started by Matt31 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 15:12
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 27 queries.