What is it?

• 17 Replies

Hawkins

What is it?
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:50 »
Holly laid this, this morning. I know it was her as she was in the box and we were having a chat. What is it , will it hurt her. Its quite sticky

please help
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

poultrygeist

Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:13 »
It's a 'lash' hawkins.

We had one last year. Jellyhead had one a few days ago....
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32017.msg383847#msg383847

Ours caused no problem. But some say they indicate a major problem.

Keep an eye on them and if you keep getting eggs then don't worry about it. :)

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16 »
Just found the link I was after...
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=3602.0

bear in mind we've had no laying probs beyond the odd softy now and then.

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20 »
Our own experience last year.....

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26154.msg309771#msg309771

We were just as worried and shocked by it. :)

Rob 8)

shiatsusu

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 16:50 »
Rob yours from last year wins the prize for disgusting  :ohmy: I hope our girlies never produce anything like that...it's enough to put you off your morning eggy  :tongue2:

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 16:53 »
I'm pleased it wasn't me who found it. OH was horrified  :D

They wanted me to dissect it. It went straight in the bin once I photoed it  :)

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 17:32 »
Holly is a lot brighter this afternoon, running around and eating well. Hopefully getting rid of the 'thing' has done her a lot of good, but will keep eye on her for the next few days. Planning on getting her to help out on allotment tomorrow, will try and find a small enough spade!!

Hawkins

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 18:13 »
Thanks for the links Rob to be honest I remember reading yours last year but went into a bit of a panic this morning when I saw it.

We were taking the dogs to the beach for a run so I hadnt engaged the brain properly.

I might ring the vet see if he will give me some Baytril just in case she has an infection as I remember picking her up and thiking she is awful warm. Is baytril the best antibiotic for chickens?

Can they all have some in the water for a few days just in case or just give it just to her.

Shes not laying at the mo but do I destroy all eggs for a bit if they have baytril

shiatsusu

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 19:30 »
I was given baytrill as good broad spectrum anti b for chooks, it worked, and I gave it to the others as and when they showed signs of developing the cold too, but you have to leave all eggs for 14 days AFTER they've finished the course- that was the advice I was given anyway. Hope she perks up. Heat sounds like an infection doesn't it?

Jellyhead

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 20:40 »
One of my chooks did lay a nugget eggie like that Em. The next day there was an eggie that was a really thick rubbery shell type thing, yellow on the outside and white on the inside. I think it may have been Delores as she laid a whoppin eggie on her first day and then nothing.
Yesterday, she laid another whopping eggie AND it was a double yolker, TWO huge yolks as well. No eggie today tho.
Cant eat the eggie as I am giving them all  Pneumobiotique int he water as some of them were a bit sneezy..........flippin typical, double yolk and we cant eat it :(
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 21:31 »
As if the horror of worming last week wasn't bad enough, this morning I found one of these. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it - thanks to this lovely forum.
Just a week without incident, that's all I would like!
Have no idea which one passed it, so that's the next problem...

Hawkins

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 21:58 »
funny enough I was going to ask another question about the lash that was laid as Holly died 2 days after laying it and my poorly chick has laid one this morning as well.

So the question is

Do they die after laying  a lash

because some people on this lovely site, their chickens have died and some havent.

I really hope not I dont want to loose another so Im looking for peeps to say if there chicks did to go chicky heaven or didnt after laying a lash please.

Ta

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 22:14 »
Me too! Out of ours four are ex-bats and the others were bought in POL. In the POL there is one with a crop problem but she lays every day and it hasn't gone sour. Of the ex-bats there is my lovely, lovely Valentine who has had egg shell problems in the past. But, there is also one who was laying when they arrived then stopped and she was in and out of the coop all morning. I don't want any of them to be ill and I'm not bothered about eggs as they are pets, it's just a worry!
Hawkins, you sound as barmy about these chickens as me! Or do they just make you go like that? Nic.

Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 22:25 »
They do make you a bit barmy nick nick but we rescue them because we want to give them a better life and get really sad when they are poorly.

I took my curent sick chick to the vet yesterday and that cost me £32.00. I was telling the nurse ther that the chicken only cost me £1 but I couldnt live with myself if she died and I hadnt tried everything.

I hope she will be okay. and yours of course.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 22:35 »
Thanks, I forgot you have another poorly one - how is she doing?. Is she the same as Holly? We are lucky in that we have a good poultry vet nearby and she doesn't muck about.
My mate says instinct goes a long way with chickens, and I'm finding that to be true. 
I can't remember it being as stressfull when I kept them as a teenager - rose tinted specs! Nic.

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.