Help! Poorly new chicken

• 60 Replies

Foxy

Re: Help! Poorly new chicken
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 22:19 »
Maybelle I sincerely hope I haven't put you off chickens! They are so wonderful to have around, very rarely have my chooks been unwell, so you have really been unfortunately very unlucky. :(
One thing with chickens is that when they are showing symptoms of illness they usually are very unwell.
We are all here to offer support so please keep us posted!

Maybelle

• 4 Hens, Dog, Cat, Tortoise, Fishies, 2 Teenagers!
    • www.pecostudios.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 22:27 »
I must say, I've never been on any forum before and I can't believe how lovely everybody has been.  We all live busy lives, pottering about doing our own things, so for all of you to take the time and trouble to come back to me with advice and support has been wonderful.  Please excuse me for rambling, but after feeling really downbeat and worrying about the next few days, having you all coming back to me during the evening has been really supportive.  Many, many thanks and I will update again tomorrow.  :wub:

shiatsusu

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 09:15 »
Just doing my post-school-run check up on the forum and wondered how things are this morning? Been thinking about you and your girls and hoping you are ok. Let us know how you get on today  ::)

Maybelle

• www.pecostudios.com
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:42 »
Hi.  Here is this morning's promised update.  Kept new 'Damian' hen separate from the other two overnight.  This morning, the two hens seem fine, in that they have both come out into the run and eaten/drank, though the larger one still seems subdued and I am nervous she may come down with illness.  Damian is still living up to her name and pacing up and down her run.  My hubby has just phoned me to say he tried reintroducing them and Damian went berserck again at the other two so he has to part them.  He thinks Little Dot may now have a damaged wing!  I think I am really tempted to return all three to the Supplier tomorrow, disinfect everything, then start again from a different source, although we have become very attached to Babs and Little Dot. What do you all think?   :unsure:

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53 »
i think you do right in returning them all (however heartbreaking) dissenfect everything, and then find a reputable supplier and start again, look at it as a learning curve, don't be put off keeping them, you've just been really unlucky.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 13:24 »
i think you do right in returning them all (however heartbreaking) dissenfect everything, and then find a reputable supplier and start again, look at it as a learning curve, don't be put off keeping them, you've just been really unlucky.

if you do decide to go to another supplier: add your location to your profile - then you'll be inundated with suggestions of good suppliers in your area!

Maybelle

• www.pecostudios.com
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 13:36 »
thanks for the advice on adding our location to my profile.  This I have now done, so if anybody out there has a contact for a different supplier not too far away from me, that would be great.  The three hens we went for this time were an 11wk old Speckled Hen( Little Dot), a 16wk old Columbine (Babs) and a pol Copper Black Maran (Damian!).  Wanted 3 different so we could tell them apart.  many thanks. ::)

poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 16:06 »
have a quick look at the suppliers list. I don't know who would be closest but by all means ask if anyone knows them before you go.

Rob 8)

Maybelle

• www.pecostudios.com
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 16:45 »
Hi Poultrygeist.  Thanks for the supplier listing.  I had used this listing to source a supplier before we got our girls, and they came from one of those listed. I have just emailed them to ask whether we can return the hens tomorrow and have a full refund.  I hope they will be in agreement.  There is another one on there I will try, so we'll see how it goes.  Many thanks.

poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 16:49 »
Hopefully someone nearby will know of a better supplier. If you want to send a PM to Aunt Sally (or myself or another mod if you prefer) with the name of the supplier, the list might need to be reviewed.
If they're sending out sick chickens, they don't really deserve being on the list.

Rob 8)

Maybelle

• www.pecostudios.com
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 08:52 »
Just a quick update from me before starting work.  We had a small egg last night from Damian!  I feel really quite sad, but we have made the decision to return all three today and the Seller has agreed to a full refund and says she is going to take all three to a vet.  I then plan to disinfect everything thoroughly - hope Jeyes Fluid will be ok - and start again.  Only thing is, I don't know how long to wait before I restock.  Any suggestions welcomed.  ttfn   :(

poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14 »
That's a very brave decision but i think it's for the best.

I think the official line with Jeyes is that it's safe after it's dried but would need airing for a while.
I don't know if there would be an incubation period to see if anything else develops and then blast it again.
I would guess it wouldn't hurt to do it again after a few days, weather permitting.

ANything we can do to help, or if you just want to rant, shout up.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25 »
Maybelle, it's terrible that your first experience with hens has been like this :( I echo Rob's comments a very brave decision & defo for the best by the sounds of things.

So glad your not giving up though :) Keeping hens, or any poultry is so rewarding not just the eggs but everything else too :)

When your ready to start again shout out and maybe between us we can help find a good breeder & pass on some pointers of what to look for and what to avoid.

Sorry again you've had a bad time :(

Sarah :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 10:56 »
Hi Maybelle- like everyone I think you're making the right decision and once you've got through this rough patch you can settle down to enjoy hen keeping. You can also use salt disolved in boiling water to disinfect everything. I know a really good supplier of chooks, all holistically reared, but she's near Salisbury so praps a bit far for you to come  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 12:00 »
I know a really good supplier of chooks, all holistically reared,

:ohmy: What on earth is that !

xx
Do I have a poorly chicken?

Started by peterjmayes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 19:59
by Fisherman
xx
poorly chicken

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 08:16
by Sassy
xx
poorly chicken

Started by Trisha on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:17
by Trisha

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 28 queries.