Should I start my brassicas today in the unheated greenhouse ?

• 6 Replies

garddwr

Hi,

I have Cauliflower-Mayflower
            Cauliflower-Avalanche

Cabbage- Primo 2
                 Tundra

Broccoli - Olympia.

Should I start them all today in the unheated greenhouse most of them say to sow outdoors March anyway but I'm not risking that.

When do you sow yours and do you  use seed trays,modules or  straight in to small pots ?

Thanks

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Hi, Garddwr,

I started my cauliflower a while back in an unheated potting shed on the plot and they are doing fine. About 2cm tall at the moment. Also growing primo cabbage, these are about 1cm tall. The rest is leeks and onions (just poking their heads through the compost) Savoy cabbage (no sign yet) have also set just a few salad bowl lettuce. Brought my seed potatoes yesterday Rocket earlys (already chitting in the bag when i got them) and Maris piper no chits on them yet but not planning to get them in the ground untill the end of the month. Think thats about it ???

For most things i use loo roll tubes to start the seedlings off (cabbage,cauliflower,lettuce that type of thing. Seed trays for onions,leeks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:01 by Steve.P »
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

garddwr

Thanks Steve,thats very useful,I'll sow after lunch in the greenhouse

Lee G

• Experienced Member
I did some red cabbage and savoy cabbage about 3 weeks ago, germinated them on my kitchen windowsill, and put them in the plastic greenhouse last weekend.  When I checked them Thursday morning there was frost all over the seed trays and the soil was hard, but, much to my surprise, they are fine.

So I'm going to crack on with the rest of my cabbage, sprouts and cauli seeds this weekend.

scott40k

started the first of my broccoli off about a fortnight ago on the windowsill. No idea if they're too early lol! but they are now about 3" high and in desperate need of potting on!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
According John's sowing/harvest chart http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php
the winter cabbage doesn't need starting till next month? so why is everyone in a hurry?
May be it's just me but.......
I'm waiting till it all warms up a bit or i'll run out of space on the window ledge for the things that must be started now.....like my toms peppers and aubergines :lol: :lol:

Stripey_cat

I've started my summer brassicas off, but not the overwintering types yet - I feel they'll have plenty of chance to catch up.

xx
Can I start Brussels and Cabbage in a unheated propagator indoors?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 13:32
by Yana
xx
Using unheated greenhouse yet?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 19:15
by rictic
xx
Toms in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 01:06
by Lichfield Lass
xx
what can i grow in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 11:50
by noshed

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 38 queries.