shell-less eggs

• 7 Replies

fifisparrow

shell-less eggs
« on: March 05, 2009, 18:44 »
I wonder if anyone can help. I have 2 chickens and one of them has laid 2 shell-less eggs over the past 3 weeks. The laying has dropped off a lot over the winter and the shells of some have been thin or knobbled but then they have produced these strange eggs without shells. We give them see shell suppliment in an organic layers pellet.
Any advice appreciated.
Weed 'em and reap.

flynnbob

Re: shell-less eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 19:40 »
We too have had a shell-less egg today as well as a tiny egg!  The chickens are otherwise all laying really well - any ideas why we should have these strange eggs?

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 19:50 »
Hello

I am very new to chickens and am having my own problems one problem was feather pecking which got rather nasty blood shed etc ...... which I have now resolved (hopefully) this was in my case diet they got protein/vitamins in the form of bird sand and cat food and this problem has cleared up!

I expect your problem is diet related too! I think they are not getting enough calcium they should have oyster shell available at all times (found out via forum) and I also crush up my used egg shells after cooking them in the oven for 20 mins I use a pestle and morter so they are fine and then sprinkle them in with the layer pellets.

I also understand that pullets sometimes lay shell less eggs when they are starting to lay as the reproductive system gets used to laying and it does sort its self out!

The members on this forum are very helpful and I have learned so much already! (now just got to stop my girls eating their eggs!!!! >:( :tongue2: :tongue2:)

Hope this has helped!  :)

Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

fifisparrow

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 20:09 »
Thanks Trins
Lots to think about.

We do crush the shells and add to the pellets AND we mix in oyster shells. But maybe we need to add more? We have had the 2 chickens for 2 1/2 years. Maybe they are getting old, poor luvs!

Any ideas?

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 20:22 »
Hi again

Yes I did read something about chickens also laying shell less eggs when they are comming to the end of their laying life! so I would have thought this maybe your problem then! were they only pullets when you got them or were they older? I think different breeds lay longer than others ? are they pure breeds or hybreds?

Trina  :)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20 »
The only hen I've had that laid shell-less and very thin shelled eggs had to be culled several weeks ago. She seemed ok while she laid them (for several weeks) but then suddenly became very poorly.
Can't help more, sorry.

Valerie :(

Hi again

Yes I did read something about chickens also laying shell less eggs when they are comming to the end of their laying life! so I would have thought this maybe your problem then! were they only pullets when you got them or were they older? I think different breeds lay longer than others ? are they pure breeds or hybreds?

Trina  :)
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 13:22 »
one of ours lays a very-soft-shelled  egg when she's in her "rest period" (one or two days in every month when they don't lay).

now, the consensus is that adding oyster-shell is good for the calcium levels, but! i have seen quite a few places that oyster-shell can cause soft-shells.  i don't know which of these is true: we don't use oyster-shell, but ours get lots of proper soil, milk and cheese (but people have laughed at this too), sand....
It might be worth dumping a load of sand in their run - if nothing else, they'll enjoy using it for dustbathing or general pecking.

and Trina said in one of her posts that she's used the sand that you get for caged birds, which has added vitamins and minerals.
anything's worth a try  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 13:47 »
limestone flour is a good source of calcium that can be added to the feed.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

Started by symonep on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:42
by symonep
xx
shell-less eggs

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 15:25
by Beano
xx
Shell-less Eggs

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 23:13
by symonep
xx
shell-less eggs

Started by Jade on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 23:24
by Jade

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 28 queries.