What is the best idea you have heard at your allotment site's AGM?

• 8 Replies

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
We have our site's Annual General Meeting next Sunday.  Our AGM is usually on Mother's Day (I kid you not) which says a lot about our current committee.

I'm to be proposed for membership of the committee.
I thought it would be useful to get some feedback from other more experienced allotmenteers regarding your experiences of the AGM forum.

What is driving you nuts?  What nonsense still exist?  What was a really smart idea? Any anecdotes and ideas will be gratefully received.

I have a couple of simple ones: 

The committee decide when the water will be turned on and off for the year.  But they never tell any one.  How difficult is that?

The committee spend money on  second hand lawn mowers but will not pay a chap £50 to vist each spring to service them.

Don't hold the AGM at 2pm on Mother's Day!

Your turn... :)
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Hi Corynsboy,

1. Do you have long waiting lists for plots at your site. If you do this could be addressed. A letter sent to plot holders that dont seem to use their plots asking if they wish to continue to use the plot or hand it back.#

2. Not sure about the lawn mower side of things. Do you have insurance to cover any accidents using these machines. This has been mentioned on a past thread, whereby the machines had to go because the cost of the insurance could not be met

3. Address the water situation, you really need a date for turning the water on and off so people know where they stand.

Good luck with the meeting, let us know how it goes.

Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
A good idea from ours was a seed swap arrangement.
One afternoon during planting season, get together at the plots or in the pub and swap what you have too much of for something you fancy
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
we only started our association last summer and we were away on holiday when they had the meeting.

like the sound of the seed swop though, might suggest it

Mrs Soup

what came up on ours was the suggestion that everyone puts in a half day to look after the general site areas.

We are only a small site so we all know who does what and it doesn't need organising.

Also we have an interim meeting as well as the AGM so that things don't get bottled up and cause a major issue.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
I would say our  allotment is pretty well run.
We have a shop run by volunteers(cheap seeds etc)
There is a £3.00 a year fee but this covers legal costs to fight any  council proposals to build on the land.
We know when the water is switched on and off.
I saw a rat and within a week the pest control had sorted the problem.
The waiting list has been reduced by splitting vacant plots into quarters and they operate a 3 strikes and you are out policy for those who do not manage their plot and let it get over run with weeds.(obviously for those who are ill there is exceptions)
We all have a key for the gate (£5 deposit)
plenty of water troughs.
We even have a charity open day once a year for "outsiders" to come and look at what is going on and seek advise.

All in all happy days.  (nothing to do with the Fonz)

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
what I wanted to hear was that the committee was prepared to spend a little money on communication.
 Too many decisions are made and not passed on to all members - a circle of cronies seem to know and it very gradually gets passed on. See above comment about water being turned off someone else has same problem
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Our comittee has started posting information to members. We're well informed but its not the cheepest way of doing it!

woodburner

How about a notice board near the entrance?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Allotment helper scheme idea - what do you think?

Started by mikey2008 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 21:20
by Salmo
xx
new allotment site, have ploughed or not

Started by 1jim on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 15:43
by Carrotcake
xx
Allotment site histories

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 10:05
by Minty
xx
best view from allotment site?

Started by billybullock on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 22:29
by IanYORK

Page created in 1.814 seconds with 36 queries.