Why do we bother? - damn cats (again - sorry)

• 34 Replies

deepee121

Re: Why do we bother? - damn cats (again - sorry)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 20:21 »
i know exactly how you feel. Fight our neighbours cat all summer long with watergun and hosepipe. by the end of the summer it finally decides to give up just to reappear in time to dig up all my tulips etc in the spring. Filled two carriers with cats mess yesterday. The smell is the most disgusting thing . Feel very tempted to tip bags into neighbours garden. That cat drives me mad. How many years does a cat live for. We have been sparring with each other for nearly ten years now. Tried everything nothing works but covering the beds but then that looks so ugly. Sorry rant over. dont give in lol.x

titch

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 20:37 »
I have five cats, and boy do they love my raised beds  :lol: :lol: :lol:
last year invested in a water pistol, they now run when they hear me pick it up - i have left them a bit of garden to poop in and regularly dig it over, they also like my loose chippings path  ::) ::)

a water pistol doesnt hurt and they really dotn like it, but of course you have to catch them at it   :wacko:
just keep breathing................

penance

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 21:06 »
deepee121 have you seen the cats doing those things?
I have had cats all my life. Had 4 cats in the house for the last 11 years and have never seen them dig bulbs or plants. None of our nieghbours have had that problem either.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 21:55 »
Carol - it was the holly root we dug up to create the nice bed!

Auntie - i saw one in homebase that specifically was called a cat and dog repellant....maybe it depends which one you get.

bought a big bag of pepper corns today.  will crush them up and put some down, might leave it until after the torrential rain thats forecast for wednesday tho ::)

mum wouldn't want spiky twigs etc across it because its out the front garden, on show.  she's bought a load of primulas - apparently that is going to stop them ???

i would love a cat of my own (or a dog) to scare off the neighbours' but mum's not an animal person so  there's little chance of that either.

chilli-pot

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 23:29 »
Our new neighbours moved in together with their 3 cats which decided to use our garden as a toilet and lounging area (they were constantly lying on our garden wall/shed/ garden lawn etc) Three weeks ago I placed some used teabags around the garden perimeter at 2 metre spaces and sprinkled Olbas oil on the teabags. I "top up" the teabags every 3-4 days. Result............No cats for 3 weeks!!! In fact I haven't even seen the cats let alone had them in the garden

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:12 by chilli-pot »

Stripey_cat

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28 »
Get a supersoaker.  Sit at an upstairs window.  Snipe.  Hum James Bond theme all afternoon.

Jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 11:00 »
I'v been told moth balls  work,
could try crushing them and scattering
 them around    :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 19:32 »
Probably daft but I'd heard that cats are frightened of snakes.... short lengths of old hose-pipe around the place along with the other deterrents might be worth a try.

Our cat is "trained" to use her inside convenience :dry:…. It’s that and the fact that she has problems finding her way out of the door these days…”getting on”, she is. Can’t make it over the fences and has always had the inside facility to discourage her (it helped) from wandering in the beds :tongue2:…......flower-beds! ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

penance

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 19:57 »
Cats are quick learners tho, once they have watched that false snake for a while and see it does nothing they'll be straight in to the new luxury toilet area.

We have 4 puddy's and its been a yearly battle trying to stop my own cats digging out seeds etc. As i said, the one thing i have found that works is netting over the area. Once everything grows to a reasonable size they start looking for another public convenience.

One of our older cats has now given up treking to find a loo and has taken to using one of the netted beds as her reading room. Bit of a pain but as it is netted she cant dig so no damage to seedling and its easy to remove the offending present she leaves there.
What to do with that present is another matter ;)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 21:23 »
i tried the hawthorn/rose cuttings around my veg last year and it seemed to work.  i have the sonic things too but i think they get wise to them.

i have often threatened to post the poo through the owners letterbox but have never been brave enough, although i would like to see their faces if i pooed on their food!! :mad:

funkydelia

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 09:03 »
Shame your mum's not an animal lover. I've never seen a cat in our garden or the evidence of one. We do, however, have 2 very large boxer dogs!!!

horsepooisgood

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 21:35 »
absolutly disgusting things, as a dog owner I never fail to pick up after our dog. Cat owners   obviously have lower morals perhaps :mad: I stand to be corrected :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 21:51 »
absolutly disgusting things, as a dog owner I never fail to pick up after our dog. Cat owners   obviously have lower morals perhaps :mad: I stand to be corrected :D

Pity one or two dog owners round our way don't you good example, there usually a trail of the stuff all round the corner to the school. My cats come home to use the loo btw in fact they spend most of their lives inside they only want to got out 1st thing in the morning after that they stay in nearly all day.
However I do take umbrage with the comment that as a cat owner I have a lower standard of morals  :nowink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06 »
I think this is getting a bit too heated… :blush:

Cats have the advantage that they (most but certainly not all) do tend to dig holes and attempt to place their deposits out of harms way and out of sight.

Dogs…  well, we’ve all put our foot in it at one time or other. When my kids were very little we lived in a Victorian Terrace. Each time we pushed the pram / pushchair in after a shopping trip we had, first, to clean the “dogs” off the wheels or we had stripped carpets.  :tongue2: Not nice when children are crawling!!

As for morals… I guess cats and dogs have their own codes but dogs seem to need the most support from moral / caring pet owners or the pavements and the rest of us suffer. :(

wafflycat

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 11:21 »

However I do take umbrage with the comment that as a cat owner I have a lower standard of morals  :nowink:

+1!

xx
Damn! Damn! Damn! - Spud Question

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 16:08
by Babstreefern
xx
Damn spuds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 05:33
by Kristen
xx
damn slugs

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 22:03
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
how to get rid of my damn brambles

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 13:55
by duncan

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 30 queries.