Help intergrating my old and new hens

• 5 Replies

Lakisha354

Help intergrating my old and new hens
« on: March 01, 2009, 20:56 »
Hi im not sure how to intergrate my new and old hens, I have pened them off from each other at the moment ad they keep having little spats through the mesh, so how do I go about finally mixing them how long do I wait ect...

karlooben

Re: Help intergrating my old and new hens
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 21:02 »
i left mine seprated for about a week an it was hell but kinda worth it , only had 2 mian fights the day they went in together and that was it . i was shocked at how much they can fight though considering they are only birds.

all i did was early in the morning i opened both doors at the same time luckily they were both next to each other .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 21:28 »
Hi Lakisha
Firstly how many original do you have and how many newbies have you got? We have got 2 oldies (1year old) and we trying to intergrate 2 newbies (15 weeksold) Let me tell you first of all it is a very slow and patient processs. Ours are meshed down the side of our run, the oldies have the main hen house and the newbies have a temp hen house. They all see and smell each other but cannot touch. We put them altogehter on friday and it was all hell let loose, the oldies really beat the little lovelys up :(. It was so upsetting to see. Everyone i have spoken to have said that this always happens, sometimes it can be more severe than others. Anyway we have had to segregate them again as the newbies were getting a real pecking  :(. We are going to wait now until easter and see what happens then, as the newbies will be really strong then.

There are few things you can do one spray them all with vinegar so they all smell the same, (we did this and it didint work)another you can buy anti pecking spray (which i have just ordered) a third keep them segregated for as long as you can and keep popping them altogehter. You will need to be very patient, and also make sure the new ones dont get any cuts as the old girls will go even crazier for the blood. If any get any cuts remove them and keep the wound clean. There will be lots of feathers, just be prepared as i wasnt, and it has been awful.
Hope all goes well for you good luck!

HENrietta :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Lakisha354

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 21:41 »
I have 3 oldies which I got 5 weeks ago and was brought at pol and now 3 newies who are at pol now.
I have them in seperate houses at the  moment with a dividing net between them and they are ok but 2 keep fighting through the new every now and again x

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 21:53 »
Aaahh it really upsets me to see them fight. I would really keep them segregatted for as long as you can. Make sure you give all of them the same treats as hens can get jealous, you will also notice that your older girls will be very vocal, almost like they are telling you and them off. I keep really shouting at my two girls (gloria and Gladis) and then really cooing over the newbies (martha and flora). God knows what the neighbours must think. Keep at it though honey, as so will i. Good luck. ;)

HENrietta :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 22:40 »
Hi Lakisha,
 We've just been through the same thing, had 4 girls for 3 weeks then introduced one newby (all POL, all from same suplplier), we kept Mavis (new girl) in portioned off part of their run next to the others who were pretty vile to her and let them all sleep together at night. We did this for a week, then i free ranged all 5 together, 3 of the old guard were fine but one wasn't, so we kept her separate while Mavis moved in with the others for a week, all slept together as before. Now, 2 weeks on I've just started letting them all free range together again and they're pretty much ok with just the occassional peck at Mavisis. If you find one dominant bird causing problems try splitting her from the others so you break up the pecking order and she loses her place. Sounds harsh but it seems to work. Good luck  ;)

xx
intergrating new chickens

Started by taximan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 11:14
by hillfooter
xx
Intergrating my chickens tonight HELP

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 17:46
by julieann
xx
Advice please -on intergrating new chickens

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 19:47
by wadz81
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 27 queries.