Hi I'm new here with ANOTHER manure question!

• 2 Replies

funkydelia

Hi I'm new here with ANOTHER manure question!
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:15 »
Hello everyone,

I started growing vegetables last year in a large raised bed in the garden and loved it so much we've just dug up half the grass! (And have a greenhouse coming on Friday!)

My sister in law has 3 horses and has said we can have as much manure as we like. 2 choices though, the stuff that is lifted out of the bedding (so has a few woodshavings stuck to it) or clean stuff that is lifted from the field.

Last year when we made our raised beds we took stuff from the field and just used it as the bottom layer before replacing the top soil and put the plants in about 2 weeks later! Didn't seem to do anything any harm but Dad advised us that it was crazy!

So.... my questions are....
 - which kind of manure is better?
 - should we do the same thing as last year with the manure under the topsoil? (I think not as we'd like to grow carrots etc in this part of the garden)
 - can I put it in the compost bin to rot down? I am not a very good compost maker, it seems awfully slimy!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has made it this far through the post and still has the will to live and answer any of my questions!!

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Re: Hi I'm new here with ANOTHER manure question!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:14 »
hello and welcome  :)
to answer some of your questions....
dont use fresh poo directly on your plants, whether its lifted from the field or from the stable.....it will "burn" them as it is still acidic and apart from that is till too clumpy

like compost, manure needs to mature  :D at least a couple of years really before its right for incorporating.

horse poo in the compost heap is absolutely ideal....layer it in with the other stuff and you will have gorgeous compost

however, having said all that, i'm a great one for "try it and see what happens" so as long as you're prepared for things not to always work out as you hope then try digging a bit of fresh stuff in but not too close to the plants.

good luck!

Stripey_cat

Re: Hi I'm new here with ANOTHER manure question!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 15:52 »
If you stuck it in under a foot of topsoil, it had probably rotted down before your plants had got their roots that deep.  Also, it'll have generated heat as it was rotting, so things will have got a head-start.  You can mix it in the compost, or keep a separate muck-heap, or dig it in raw in the autumn if you're leaving ground fallow over winter.  Just don't put fresh muck on the plants themselves, or, as someone said, it'll damage the roots.  Personally, I'd take the field-picked stuff - shavings take a while to rot down.

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
to manure or not to manure that is the question?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 14:54
by JimB
xx
Manure question

Started by parsley on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 06:50
by parsley
xx
manure question

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 17:34
by Joseph

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 27 queries.