How would you tackle this problem ?

• 21 Replies

Bigbadfrankie

Re: How would you tackle this problem ?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 17:34 »
Hi I'm new here  :)

But would like your help Please.

My Husband and I took on our Allotment Dec 1st 2008. We were very lucky and had the choice of 2 plots, we chose the one in the corner. Two sides have trees round and in the corner is a natural pond - which the kids love and we are hoping to turn into a wildlife pond eventually.  :)

The problem is 3/4's of the plot has hardly any topsoil, 1/2 a spades depth at most down to 2 - 3 inches at worst,  which the Perennial weeds live in before they hit clay. - By clay I mean the type you could make models out of like my children have.   :)  :(

so my question is How would you tackle this problem please ?  - I'm open to all ideas. :)

PS. The only weeds I can identify are :- Couch grass, creeping Buttercup, Dock leaves,nettles and possibly  rag wort but i need to double check that one.

Looking forward to hearing all your suggestions.

Cheers Aligem.

Ask if the other plot is available, and take the kids to see the ducks at the local pond. Spray the weeds with round up
always have a target
and an objective.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 17:49 »
Having watched those clips, im totally depressed :(.....what an amazing plot!!

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 19:32 »
Don't be depressed by them, goose, think of all the good affordable ideas you can borrow and what can be accomplished with some determination. It's all do-able to whatever extent suits you and your wallet.

aligemini

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 22:29 »
Most places have about a foot of topsoil, from years of ploughing. I'm wondering if someone has stripped off the turf to get rid of the weeds at some time, but didn't think to keep it. (Best case scenario is you have a heap of rotted down turf somewhere on the plot.) Do you know what the land was before it was made over to allotments?

Clay makes really good soil, but it takes many, many years and there's not a lot can be done to speed up the process.
Most plant roots hate pure clay. They just can't get into it. Without humus in it, there's nothing for worms or bacteria to eat, so they don't go into it either. Physically breaking it up, as in double digging, helps with drainage, but sill leaves the clay lumps individually impenetrable. Usually I advise against adding manure/compost to subsoils clay, as it's usually too deep to benefit the plants, and the worms don't like going too deep either, but with your plot having so little topsoil, it won't be too far down at all. :? The compost manure has at least two actions on the clay, firstly, it physically stops the lumps from sticking back together, secondly it provides food for the worms, and their movements help mix up the humus and the subsoil on a more minute level.
Normally for double digging, you'd dig a trench the depth of your spade, but in your case that would mix up the subsoil with the topsoil, so just dig down to the subsoil, (put the topsoil in a barrow or on a tarp) shove a load of manure or compost, (or whatever you can get!) and fork it into the clay at the bottom of the trench. Then dig another trench alongside the first, and put the topsoil from that into the first. Put manure or whatever into the bootom of the new trench and so on, across the plot, finally filling in the last trench with the topsoil from the first.
The other thing you can do is to grow plants whose roots can penetrate the clay, buckwheat and field beans are both reputed to do this, so I would think that broad beans would too.
Buckwheat and field beans are green manures, so if you can't get manure or compost in sufficient quantity, this is definitly the way to go. HTH :)

Hi Woodburner

Yes it does help and thanks very much.

Our plot has been an allotment for years, which has been split up into three plots now – to meet demand I guess. I think that maybe the other 2 plots have got our  topsoil, as they are higher than us. - So sadly no heap of rotted down turf.

Thanks for the information about the clay and how it all works. The double digging method was the way I was going to go until I found out there was no topsoil and just as you have suggested, I have only dug to the clay and no further, mind it's not easy in places not to dig it up.

Because of this problem, I have phoned the council and explained our situation, in the hope they might have some spare topsoil – and they have agreed to deliver to the allotment 2 tons later this month. I just wasn't sure how best to tackle the weeds and clay before I put on the topsoil. Also got 3 bins full of homemade compost at home to add as well.

Thanks again for your help. AG.

aligemini

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 22:31 »
If you check out this page, you'll find what the video chap had to do to get his plot workable. The first season it was a real shambles but with determination and planning, he changed it to something incredible in 3 yrs. He also discusses his costs, which is not for everyone, but definitely has lots of ideas to borrow from. I'm making the compost bins and adding a few raised beds with the protective netting.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Also, our John, site owner, had to sort waterlogging problems in one of his plots by doing raised beds. If you check through some of the diary entries, possibly 2007 you'll probably find his comments and pix.

Thanks Trillium for the extra link, although I haven't had chance to read it yet – Made the most of todays sunshine and got out in the garden, It was feeling neglected due to taking on the allotment.

I really like the idea of the mini greenhouses and hot houses for the squash etc. Hubby thought it was good too if a little expensive, although he doesn't want to do all raised beds.- Certainly hats off to the Liverpool guy.

Will look at John's waterlogging problems too as I think it might be needed. AG.

aligemini

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 22:53 »
Having watched those clips, im totally depressed :(.....what an amazing plot!!

Goose, I never look at someone elses plot/garden and feel depressed, I look at it and think wow - and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it.  :) Maybe one day i'll get that Wow, with a heck of a lot of hard work.    :)

aligemini

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 23:12 »
Hi I'm new here  :)

But would like your help Please.

My Husband and I took on our Allotment Dec 1st 2008. We were very lucky and had the choice of 2 plots, we chose the one in the corner. Two sides have trees round and in the corner is a natural pond - which the kids love and we are hoping to turn into a wildlife pond eventually.  :)

The problem is 3/4's of the plot has hardly any topsoil, 1/2 a spades depth at most down to 2 - 3 inches at worst,  which the Perennial weeds live in before they hit clay. - By clay I mean the type you could make models out of like my children have.   :)  :(

so my question is How would you tackle this problem please ?  - I'm open to all ideas. :)

PS. The only weeds I can identify are :- Couch grass, creeping Buttercup, Dock leaves,nettles and possibly  rag wort but i need to double check that one.

Looking forward to hearing all your suggestions.

Cheers Aligem.

Ask if the other plot is available, and take the kids to see the ducks at the local pond. Spray the weeds with round up

Hi BBF.

sorry only just noticed your reply as it was mixed in with my quote.

Sadly the other Plot went the same day as we said yes to ours. - mind apart from the lack of topsoil I like our plot. :)

clip
How best to tackle tomato mess up?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 22:02
by ConfusedGardener
clip
New Neighbouring Plot To Tackle.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 21:07
by Madame Cholet
xx
Best approach to tackle weedy pile?

Started by Beetie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 20:43
by angelavdavis
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 29 queries.