birds and garlic

• 7 Replies

woodburner

birds and garlic
« on: February 24, 2009, 00:06 »
A day or two ago I finally got my garlic planted. This morning I went to look at the chooks, and I saw bits of white where I had planted the garlic. At first I thought it was bits of the skins that I had left, then I realised something had pulled them up.
I planted onion sets last year in the same way and nothing bothered them, so do the birds like garlic more than onions?  :wub:  ??? It's not like they ate them, so why do they pull them up at all?   ???
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Re: birds and garlic
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 00:38 »

That is surprising.
Assuming that you planted your garlic 2" - 4" deep, only a day or two ago, I'd not expect even the most intelligent bird to find it.

However, birds will pull up garlic (when it begins to show above ground) just as they do onion sets.
At this time of the year they'll have a go at any green shoots in the hope of finding a tasty morsel.

As an aside, yesterday I planted 50 onion sets and put a net 9" above them.
This morning I found 6 of the sets out of the ground.
I can only assume that a bird (probably one of the many pigeons living locally) had landed on the net, uprooted the sets, but had been unable to pull them through the fine mesh of the net.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 13:46 »
Mine weren't that deep but neither were the sets. I can only think they were attracted to the white of the garlic, more than the coloured onions.  ???
Why do they pull them up at all? If they had been able to get the onions through the net would they have eaten them?

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 14:45 »
I've not known birds to eat garlic or onions. I guess that they would find the taste repugnant.
The irritating thing is that when they see the little shoots protruding from the soil they think that there is something tasty and pull them out of the ground.
Either evolution has failed to improve the birds knowledge of what they aren't going to like or they just rip out onion and garlic sets to annoy us gardeners.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 16:44 »
i planted my garlic start of nov,as they like a good frost and with all the snow  we had it should of done it a  treat.

i ve been very luckly its about 3cm tall now.Its uncovered nothing has yet touched it,but i did put old raspberry canes in the ground as markers to to remember where the garlic was,,,so perhaps this put anything off ,i dunno.

ive had the odd onion set pulled out of the ground when i plant thm, but i just pop them back in ,dont cover them
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 18:54 »
My garlic is just pushed into the soil with the tip showing and the birds haven't touched it. It's 4" high now.

woodburner

Re: b****y chook!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 18:55 »
I thought I saw the culprit this afternoon, as I spottd one of my chooks (the usual escapee) in that area, but on closer inspection the only footprints were on the bare end of the bed, even though some more of the cloves were dug up again. I'm gradually replanting them all a bit deeper. Curiously the ones I planted with the green shoot showing have mainly been left alone.  ???

I gave up on putting the chook back in the run, as she would only escape again later, anyway. . . Tomorrow she's going in the broody coop!  >:( >:( >:( When I went down at dusk to shut them up for the night I found she has demolished the bed where I planted the strawberries, (which were coming on a treat this morning!), and half of the rhubarb bed.
But the garlic bed is fine!  :blink:

Trillium

Re: b****y chook!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 19:11 »
But the garlic bed is fine!  :blink: 

Obviously that chook is not a connoisseur  ;)

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
The Birds!!

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 18:52
by oldbean
xx
Birds or something else??

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:52
by DavidT

Page created in 0.707 seconds with 28 queries.