who tarts up their plot

• 20 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: who tarts up their plot
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 12:04 »
Crowndale, why not contact your local council to see if they will let you have any flagstones from paths that they are digging up to relay with tarmac...  lots of them are doing that now instead of replacing / relaying flags as flags are a hazard when they come loose.

We used to be able to do that, but cant anymore coz of (yep you guessed it) Health and Safety, incase someone puts there back out loading.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 14:31 »
Crowndale, why not contact your local council to see if they will let you have any flagstones from paths that they are digging up to relay with tarmac...  lots of them are doing that now instead of replacing / relaying flags as flags are a hazard when they come loose.

We used to be able to do that, but cant anymore coz of (yep you guessed it) Health and Safety, incase someone puts there back out loading.

You should offer to sign a contract saying you won't sue if you hurt yourself.
 :tongue2:

Yabba

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 14:50 »
You should offer to sign a contract saying you won't sue if you hurt yourself.
 :tongue2:

No doubt the regulations would state that you can only complete the form using a non-toxic blunt blue crayon :-S

¥

Mrs sawnee

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 19:10 »
I think that people looking around thinking of getting an allotment can be roughly divided into two types:
Those who look for the neatest, tidiest plot and say "Oh that one's good can we have that one please?"
Those who look at the abandoned plots, and then the neat and tidy plots, and think "Ye gods, how do they do that?"
I'd rather have a plot that looks productive, but not perfect, so as not to put off the latter group.

Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue2:  :lol:

It would be nice to have your cake and eat it, wouldn't it?!!!  But really it all boils down to how much time you have available to spend on the plot.  We try to keep ours neat and tidy but the main aim is to be productive.  I guess as the kids get older we shall have more time on our hands to battle with the weeds.   :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 19:57 »
I like my plot to look tidy but don't go in for additional embellishments apart from one. I don't treat it like a garden and hardly ever have time to sit and admire the results as there's always something that needs doing in the time I have there....unless I stop to make a cuppa ;)

I aim to:
  • make the digging look even
  • keep the weeds under control
  • have straight lines where they should be straight
  • cut the paths and trim the edges
  • have full rows of growing crops - not patchy ones with gaps
  • keep the shed painted and reasonably tidy
  • have tools that are well cared for
  • stay on the plot until a job is "up to scratch"

All of this fussing about, if you'd call it that, is to keep the plot in good order so it produces the best harvests I can achieve.

I guess it's all a matter of personal choice, how much time you have and the main aim of your allotmenting. I get a kick out my plot looking successful and producing something worthwhile taking home to the family. :)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Christine

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 19:58 »
I like to run a very orderly plot - tidy, weed free, fully planted with productive fruit and vegetables, compost heaps in good order, hedges tidy, marrows and courgettes on a compost heap.

Tarting up only goes as far as a well painted shed, a cold frame type wooden object for pot storage and a couple of rustic seats gained from others before the scrap man got them. If there is room for a few flowers, a few flowers get planted. I try to include flowering herbs that will encourage insects and let the hedges flower before cutting them (think hawthorn in places).

Because there is a large concrete hard standing taking up space there are no paths as such - more a case of working off planks as required.  Useful thing the hard standing though.

Surprisingly it always looks as if it has been tarted up even when nothing special has been done.

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
Plot 11 here I come..........!!!!!

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 13:55
by beansticks
xx
New Plot

Started by fred-quimby on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 00:28
by morbidia

Page created in 1.031 seconds with 28 queries.