who tarts up their plot

• 20 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
who tarts up their plot
« on: February 20, 2009, 19:07 »
and how?

i've built a frame for my 'reduced to £1' b&q honeysuckle and clematis. also, i plant wildflowers for the bees etc as well as looking colourful.

crowndale

Re: who tarts up their plot
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 19:15 »
I am looking to put in a proper paved path, build a new shed and generally keep it looking like a show ground, but am a very long way off any of that!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 19:24 »
the council, or the contract gardeners, sometimes bring us slabs so i've already laid a path. i've bought two sheds off people on the site but both times the deal's fell through so no shed yet. and i need one. i scored a pond off freecycle and i'm awaiting the frogs who'll take care of my slug problem.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 19:28 »
I like to sow flowers around mine to make it look nice, and I'm putting in raised beds with paths between to make it look more uniform.

Crowndale, why not contact your local council to see if they will let you have any flagstones from paths that they are digging up to relay with tarmac...  lots of them are doing that now instead of replacing / relaying flags as flags are a hazard when they come loose.

yummy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 20:13 »
This is our 3rd year and we are trying to make a bit of an effort this time as far as appearances are concerned. We have got some slabs from freecycle and these have made our main path. We have some free double glazing and pallets that will hopefully become a potting shed. Bulbs a plenty, plus loads of sweet peas and delphiniums to go in this year. Will all get buried by weeds of course  :tongue2:

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 21:22 »
I've made a patio area around the greenhouse, there is a table and chairs and lots of flowerpots and herbs. There are climbing roses and clematis growing over the shed, and I grow lots of annuals to attract polinating insects. I also have a thyme hedge marking out a small path that I keep trimmed like a box hedge.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 21:40 »
I have a ravaged plot that I haven't even BEGUN to do anything with yet but I definitely want to make it like a little piece of Eden if I can.. .I'm determined it will NOT look like Steptoes! lol  ...Few flowers...few herbs...some espalier fruit trees...a wee shed with some nice climbers scrambling over it...somewhere to sit and ponder...ahh yes.  It'll be a while though...see this pic? - this is the "AFTER" clearance shot! lol
IMG_1503.jpg
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

bonjives

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 21:42 »
A friend who had the next allotment to me saw that I was struggling on my own so decided to give up his to help me with mine, now it's got so bad because of his wanting the allotment looking prestine that I don't want to go. He has put rugs in the shed and goes mad if I dont wipe my feet before I go in, he takes his slippers to change into, he has even put a cloth on the coffee table he brought, plus 2 wine glasses. he is obsessed with cleaning and tidying, even the compost heap has been fenced off cos he says it looks unsitely, sorry, after reading this back decided to give him the push. Its mine all mine even if it does get untidy.
JB80

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 21:48 »
A friend who had the next allotment to me saw that I was struggling on my own so decided to give up his to help me with mine, now it's got so bad because of his wanting the allotment looking prestine that I don't want to go. He has put rugs in the shed and goes mad if I dont wipe my feet before I go in, he takes his slippers to change into, he has even put a cloth on the coffee table he brought, plus 2 wine glasses. he is obsessed with cleaning and tidying, even the compost heap has been fenced off cos he says it looks unsitely, sorry, after reading this back decided to give him the push. Its mine all mine even if it does get untidy.

omg.... :blink: :blink:  tablecloth and slippers...??? rofl...that is hilarious!  Or not...obv...as it is YOUR plot...sorry but that did make me titter.

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 22:02 »

omg.... :blink: :blink:  tablecloth and slippers...??? rofl...that is hilarious!  Or not...obv...as it is YOUR plot...sorry but that did make me titter.

I have been known to scrape the mud off me wellies, before I get on my bike!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 22:27 »
I plant nasturtiums, Marigolds, Lavender ect as companion plants to get the good bugs in. Still need to put in a pond and some way of attracting more ladybugs

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:43 »
I have been told that we got to have a nice looking plot one when new people come in they say "we want one like that".  It gonna be hard going getting there but im sure we will one day.
Thanks
Kris

crowndale

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:00 »
I have plans also to pave th area in front of my new shed, I say new, its at the planning stage at the moment, still need to prep the ground (bind weed heaven) but I haven't finished the winter digging yet so it'll be a while me thinks!  would love a pond but with fostering babies it'd have to be fenced off and covered and really cannot be bothered to do that, besides its only a small plot and I want veges!

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42 »
We grow daffs roses and this year dahlia for cutting. Jo is building a wildlife pond and we intend to grow for wildlife as well.  One main path to the shed to be completed this year.

Everything is laid out in 4 foot beds of various lengths to suit and 5 foot beds for the soft fruit

Just like to everything tidy so I without moving a load of stuff before we start
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

woodburner

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53 »
I think that people looking around thinking of getting an allotment can be roughly divided into two types:
Those who look for the neatest, tidiest plot and say "Oh that one's good can we have that one please?"
Those who look at the abandoned plots, and then the neat and tidy plots, and think "Ye gods, how do they do that?"
I'd rather have a plot that looks productive, but not perfect, so as not to put off the latter group.

Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue2:  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
Plot

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 08:28
by muntjac
xx
our new plot

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 09:49
by fibilou

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 40 queries.