feather eating and crop

• 5 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
feather eating and crop
« on: February 17, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi, one of my hens about 6 months old pinches the feathers from the bums of the others. They just tell her off and we know it is just a habit she developed at the place we got them from. They have a very "exciting" run with perches, branches and all manner of distractions. They have oyster shell and we are on sandy soil. This hen though has a massive crop, I'm going to check her again in the morning but I had a feel about 10ish this morning and it was already the size of a tennis ball and quite hot. I was just wondering if the feather eating would exasperate the problem. Hopefully she has just been a greedy whatsit, not looking forward to doing the upside down chuck massage thing. Nic

poultrygeist

Re: feather eating and crop
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 20:45 »
If you can check her as soon as she comes out in the morning (or before) and she should have an empty crop then. If not, you already know what to do  :(

I've put some stockholm tar on a couple of mine and plan to do the rest asap. I tried the specs but couldn't get them to stay on. Maybe a pair of those would be a solution just for the one bird ?

Failing that, perhaps isolating her in view for a while.

Rob

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 20:57 »
I was watching her today, mainly because we have some ex-bats mixing in with them and they have fewer feathers to start with! She wasn't doing it today but I think that it was because I took the fence down so there was a lot going on. 
The other hens just tell her off, but I've noticed that Fearnley who has the fluffiest bum has started to really give her a beating. My mate who is a vet nurse saw it for the first time at the weekend and reckons it's because the place they came from - although really clean and the guy loves his birds - was a bit sparse on distractions. He does feed them loads of veg and fruit which this particular hen is crazy about. I'm not so worried about the plucking and eating as most of the hens are super healthy and seem to be dealing with it. I just wondered if anyone knew if it contributed to the crop being impacted ( if it is )? Thanks, Nic

Brambles

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 21:29 »
I am by no means an expert on feather plucking/eating, but one of mine got into the habbit of pinching her pals bum feathers, it was ok for a little while, but she then started on their larger tail feathers... one of them got quite bald around her bottom.   I have creamed the bald area with tea tree oil in olive oil, and have a nibble and plucking deterrant spray for the other areas.   It seems to have done the trick, Bertha definitely does not like the taste!!!  and if I keep up the treatment for a while.............. hopefully the problem will go away.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 19:04 »
Well I grabbed her this morning and her crop was huge. Typically she is the only one who doesn't like being picked up and she's fast too. I've tried the oil and massage but was unsure how hard to do it. I've spoken to a poultry vet and she said quite firmly is ok. While I was waiting for her call I googled a bit and found some people have had success with maggots!!!!
As I can only get hold of her twice a day I thought it was worth a shot. Has anyone else tried this?
The vet seemed to think that she was probably ok as she's still laying and to keep massaging her for a week to 10 days. Nic.
P.S I think my friend can get me some antipecking spray.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 19:26 »
I read about the maggots in olive oil or something slippery. I know you need to be careful how much oil you give in case it overburdens the liver (I think).

I was quite firm with ours but didn't manage to make her sick. But it did ease the swelling and she's right as rain now.
Laying is not always a sign of tickety-boo. It may have to be really bad before she stops. Just keep an eey (nose?) on the smell from her mouth. If it starts to ferment you need to get her sorted pronto. The vet can open her up and remove the detritus quite simply (but obviously expensively).
Good luck with her. I'm sure she'll reward you with a bootfull of mess soon. Bless em, :D

Rob 8)

xx
feather eating

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 13:32
by Miller
xx
feather eating

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 09:01
by chickenlady
xx
Feather eating

Started by westie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 13:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feather eating

Started by mintymoos on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 18:45
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 27 queries.