Mending a crack in a water butt

• 19 Replies

themoog

• Experienced Member
Mending a crack in a water butt
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:35 »
I've been trying to think how to put this delicately ('cos I'm classy like that :tongue2:) but I have a crack in my butt that needs mending.

I've been given an old water butt by my neighbour for use on my newish allotment, but it's got a crack about 7-10cm long, about a third of the way up. I was wondering whether there was a tape of some description which would keep it water-tight and would hold in wet/bad weather.

My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

woodburner

Re: Mending a crack in a water butt
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51 »
The better quality gaffer tapes are water proof, (they are used for temporary repairs on dinghies) also kitchen/bathroom sealant, but I don't know that either would stop the crack developing when it fills with water again.
They don't cost much if you shop around, so it's probably worth a try, and if it doesn't work, you could perhaps make it into a wormery or big plant tubs.
If the top half doesn't have a suitable lid to serve as the base of a tub, it could still be used as a rhubarb forcer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:55 by woodburner »
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51 »
Cheese makes everything better.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:56 »
Thanks, I'm very pleased to see that there are people of a similar standard of humour  :blush:!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:58 »
Oh I can sink much lower. 8)

To be honest, it worked for a while but I think the pressure when it was full caused it to leak.  I got rid of it and bought new last year.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 15:06 »
I know its not much use to you, but I have a collection of Lilliput Lane cottages, and bought some off Ebay really cheap as they are slightly damaged.  I bought this stuff they use to repair models and its called 'Milliput' and it's like a epoxy where you mix the 2 things together.  It costs around £6, but it said it is heatproof, cold proof waterproof the lot, so when my water butt had a hole in it, about where you said yours is, I filled the whole hole with this stuff, making sure it overlapped both inside and outside, and its still watertight 3 years later.  I also mended a hole in one of my chooks bell drinkers with it and that is still fine too, even though its been out in all weathers!

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 16:48 »
fibreglass, messy, but permanent. :)

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 18:25 »
I've no doubt that you can Ice :ohmy:! I'm discovering from the old boys on the allotment that mucky wellies and mucky minds go very well together. I'm not quite sure what all of their jokes mean, mind  ???...

Righto, I shall run some trials with the mending. I'll try the gaffer tape option first and move on to more messy and complicated stuff later  :tongue2:.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 18:42 »
My butt crack was on the bottom, I see yours is on your side :ohmy:   As your butt crack is in a different place to mine you might have more luck repairing it.

I used a fibreglass repair kit from a car spares shop and it worked for a while.  I'll add no more description of the process or I might upset the mods. :lol:

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 18:45 »
Just a thought..... How about trying 'super glue'  :unsure:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

randombod

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 19:33 »
fibre glass is the gold standard but epoxy would sufice or you could melt the edges of the crack and melt fuse it together  ???

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 19:58 »
Mmm. Remember that you are talking to a woman who, although able to follow complicated recipes and suchlike with a very high degree of success, is beginning to have nightmares about putting up a flat-pack shed  :wub:. The lower tech the better.

And I was supposed to grow up to be a feminist, oops!

randombod

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 20:05 »
Mmm. Remember that you are talking to a woman who, although able to follow complicated recipes and suchlike with a very high degree of success, is beginning to have nightmares about putting up a flat-pack shed  :wub:. The lower tech the better.

And I was supposed to grow up to be a feminist, oops!

ah sod that you get stuck in gal 

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 20:10 »
Always remember, if a bloke can do it the task can't be that difficult. :tongue2:

Get yourself some tools and just do it.  A shed is a floor, four walls and a roof.  Read the instructions as you would do a recipe.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 20:15 »
Once you've fixed your but crack wrap over the crack on the outside with "duck" tape or whatever to try to minimise the expansion of the barrel at that point to stop it opening up again.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
water butt butt discount

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 21:17
by chickchick
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
water in a butt

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 14:53
by JayG
xx
water in butt.

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 30, 2021, 08:00
by jambop

Page created in 0.875 seconds with 29 queries.