0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

oldies and newies!

• 4 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
oldies and newies!
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:07 »
I am not sure if anyone can help or advise me. We have had two hens now for just under a year. They are both very healthy and happy girls, so we decided to give another two a happy life. So last sunday my husband went and got another two from the same farm and very sadly (florence) was very confused as to which way to go and stuck her head out! Mr Fox was visiting, need i say more, we have all felt so sad and i felt like we let her down. Flora who was left has been beside herself, so having only been alone for a few days we decided to get Martha! Flora seems a little better but still very nervy. But she has been putting Martha in her place, and has now pecked her feet and drawn blood which i have cleaned with salt water and applied germolene!We are keeping them segretted from the older girls (Gloria & Gladis) for at least two weeks even at night they sleep seperately. All i need to know is that will they become friends altogehter as my children and i hate to see them hurt each other. I know it will be tough but will it be worth it. Many thanks a devoted hen lover.
Live, Love and Laugh!

agapanthus

Re: oldies and newies!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:50 »
They will eventually Hen! It does take time and patience but they'll get there in the end. We have the same situation at the moment. 2 trios of pekins in our living room..(don't ask)....and in each trio one of the hens is being picked on by the other 2. We now have them out of their respective cages and they roam around the room basically ignoring each other....but they'll soon come round!

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 15:05 »
Thanks for that, I can't believe how i feel about these girls. They have taken over my life in the past week! Anyway fingers crossed it will be back to being a happy hen house!  :)

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57 »
As Aggy it takes time.  Have you used purple spray you get it from horsey places.  It is good and helps the chickens heal and the others supposidly don't like the colour?? 8)

Chickens are funny creatures they really have to get that pecking order just so.  The trouble is sometimes the more you seperate them the longer it takes! ::)

We introduced 2 new chickens to our 4 and all hell broke loose, but we had to turn a blind eye and let them get on with it... Then 4 weeks later we got 4 ex-batts well you can imagine the first pecking order hadn't been finished so it threw them into complete disaray..There is still alot of jossling and the occasional peck but now it's from the last lot trying to establish their order.......bear with it and don't worry too much they will all calm down soon and all will be forgoten.     :wub:

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 17:21 »
Thankyou so much, i am trying not to worry and we have not even put them together yet. Will give it another week or so and let battle commence!

xx
Oldies and newbies in the same coop?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 12:14
by Casey76
xx
New Chicken Owners - but not excluding oldies! lol

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 23:57
by kattcottrell

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 32 queries.