Swift potatoes and Gro-Kit

• 8 Replies

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
Swift potatoes and Gro-Kit
« on: February 14, 2009, 21:30 »
I am a novice / newbie, this year will be my first attempt at growing my own veg! I have got a small plot at the bottom of the garden and also bought some seed potatoes and Gro-Kit so I can grow them on the patio.

I have started chitting my first earlies (they are called Swift) they were in my shed in an egg carton for the past week but no sprouts have appeared, so today I bought them in and have put them on the window sill in my kitchen to see if this change in environment will encourage sprouting. However I am now worried by me bringing them into a warmer climate I may be doing more home than good.

Can someone please advise whether what I am doing is ok, or should I return them to the shed.

The shed is obviously much cooler but does have a reasonable amount of light.

Many thanks

DIGGER

Re: Swift potatoes and Gro-Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 21:32 »
A weeks is not really very long,patience is the thing.
Welcome by the way

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 21:35 »
Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick reply. Shall I put them out in the shed again?

I read these seed potatoes can be planted by the end of February, if they haven't chitted by then will it hurt to plant them later?

DIGGER

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 21:38 »
Store in a cool frost free place with sufficient light.
I would leave them till towards the end of March before planting

seeNeutral

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 21:43 »
Cheers DIGGER, I'll take them back out tomorrow morning and leave them to do their thing.

When planting seed potatoes I have read some people leave all the sprouts on, others leave between 1-3 sprouts. Have you any advice on this, and how can you differentiate between a good sprout and a bad one?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 00:03 »
I am surprise that Swift are not chitting. They usually romp away and keeping them back is the usual challenge.

You were quite right to bring them into the warm for a few days. This will break their dormancy and start their lifecycle. Once you can see sprouts forming put them back into a cool, light and frost free place until you plant them.

Swift live up to their name and are one of the earlyest potatoes to bulk up. I think something like 75 days from planting. Do not hurry to plant. Better if the soil is warm. If the weed are germinating it is warm enough.

seeNeutral

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:20 »
Thanks for the advice Salmo, I'll leave them on the window silll then and keep an eye on them. Once they start chitting I'll put back in the shed.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:36 »
Ideal temp for chitting is 10 degrees and you should try to have them on a north facing window so that you avoid too much direct sun light. Don't worry they will grow super fast.
We don't plant our seed until May up here so plenty of time yet. :D
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 14:28 »
The shed was cold and frost free so a good place for storage, but too cold to chit.
Now they are in the warm they should start to sprout after about a week.
Once they have started to sprout, you can store them (carefully) in the cold again until the weather/time/conditions are right.
Mine are still in their original net bags (unchitted), as they are easier to store like that and I'm strapped for frost free space atm.  :nowink:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Harvesting Swift potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2022, 13:29
by ceba
xx
Just 'harvested' my Swift potatoes.................

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 09:17
by MoreWhisky
xx
First Potatoes of the Year - Variety Swift

Started by rubberfrog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 00:17
by andy dewar
xx
Swift Disappointment

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 19:55
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 30 queries.