Swift Disappointment

• 12 Replies

simonwatson

Swift Disappointment
« on: June 16, 2013, 23:37 »
I'm growing three spuds this year, Swift, Charlotte and Desiree. The later two are growing very well. The former, sharing a bed with the Charlottes, are small and stunted, where they bothered to come up at all. The foliage doesn't look sick. there just isn't much of it. Anyone else had issues with their Swifts this year?

maxie

• Experienced Member
Re: Swift Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:05 »
Yes i have and my father,i sewed a row of 12 and 6 came through,a couple have grew away ok the rest have been stunted like you say.my father had the same problem with seed potato from the same place.Ive never had a problem with taties before till this year with these i thought it was just me but it must be the seed taties.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:09 by maxie »

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:18 »
Maxie can you give a hint as to where they came from as I have had the same problem.

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26 »
I have a similar problem with Winston - only 3 out of 12 came up and the plants are small  :(.  My other tatties are fine.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45 »
I got mine at a small garden centre near carlisle .im not going to name it as ive had them off them for many years with no problems.They sell them loose not bagged.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50 »
My Swift have been OK. I have two 10ft rows - harvested one row at the weekend to give to family etc- planted just before Easter - end of March. The yield is not great - about 4/5 hens egg sized spuds per plant - but as I have other earlies - I am pleased with that - taste was very good. They may be a bit late but as they were covered in snow ( and fleece ) at one point !! Can post a photo if you want.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 21:48 »
Although i am not growing swift, on my normal wonder around the site i have noticed a row of swift and they are as you say small and stunted compared to others.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

homegrown

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 22:28 »
Aidy how do you know what swift look like  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrsbean

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 22:52 »
hi posted earlier about  black leg on our swift. was going to pull them all up but just pulled rotten ones. rest of plants stunted and not much yield.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12 »
Aidy how do you know what swift look like  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy, at the end of the row there is a sign, this sign says SWIFT  :lol: :lol: :lol:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 13:32 »
Although i am not growing swift, on my normal wonder around the site i have noticed a row of swift and they are as you say small and stunted compared to others.

I grew Swift last year and the plants were half the size of the Charlottes in the next row.  I think it is a characteristic of the variety, not a flaw in this year's plantings.  I also noticed they didn't flower either, and I let them die back naturally rather than furtle around.  One of the selling points of Swift was that it was one of the earliest for cropping - however, I think that would only happen in perfect growing conditions, certainly not having to endure a series of frosts and permanently earthed up, followed by the wettest weather ever.  Despite all that, the potatoes were "normal" for first earlies, slug free (bonus points) and I thought the taste was lovely - it is certainly on my list for future plantings.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 16:25 »
Sounds like BabbyAnn has hit the nail on the head..

Quote fro T&M web site "Potato ‘Swift’ is among the fastest maturing of the first early varieties, being the quickest to produce heavy crops of round, smooth, white-fleshed baby new potatoes, and producing larger tubers than Potato 'Rocket'. Its short bushy habit makes it ideal for containers or potato bags where space is limited"

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 19:55 »
My Swift on the plot were very late going in, but seem to be growing well. A bag I threw 3 spuds into in the green house on 18 Feb, were harvested last week. (about 14 ish weeks, so a bit longer than I would expect from the bumph, but given the cold weather not bad) TBH I thought it was a very good crop, 12 tennis ball sized spuds and numerous golf ball sized ones. Certainly favourable when compared to Charlotte which I have grown in this way in previous years.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Compost disappointment

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 10:19
by ARPoet
xx
newbie disappointment

Started by lizziemac on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 22:46
by Togalosh
xx
Spud disappointment

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 01:03
by gavinjconway
xx
Greenhouse disappointment

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 14:15
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 1.68 seconds with 36 queries.