Ok to replant garlic?

• 3 Replies

Greendream

Ok to replant garlic?
« on: February 13, 2009, 20:37 »
Hello!

Complete newbie here!  Just getting to grips with my new allotment and got a old shed (yet to be erected!), 3 composters built and most of the weeds cleared from one large area and my garlic planted in early Dec.

The problem is that being pregnant, and with a business to run is that a whole new allotment is a little too much as well. So I want to divide it in half and let half of it rest under thick balck plastic, till I have time to devote to it and work on the other half.

Now my problem is that I planted my garlic in the bit I now want to leave....can I dig it up and move it to my newly created beds? It is about 3 inches high at the moment and growing quickly. I dont want to kill it by moving it, but I would prefer it to be in with the other bedss. There are about 30 plants.

Any advice would be much appreciated!  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Ok to replant garlic?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 20:44 »
It would be better if you could leave it to be honest, but if they have to be moved then get the them out with the largest amount of soil you can manage with easily. This will help minimize root disturbance. I've never tried moving it, but thats about what I'd do if I had to  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 20:48 »
They should replant OK if you dig them up with as much soil and as little root disturbance as possible. Probably do it sooner rather than later.

I took on a plot last year where the previous tenant had left garlic unlifted. They were growing a dozen in a clump from the bulb. They transplanted OK but were a little smaller than my proper crop. Mind you they had to be completly seperated with no soil on the roots.

Greendream

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 15:21 »
Thanks! I will leave them be this year and be more prepared next!  :)

xx
should I dig up shallots and replant?

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 18:43
by vixen
xx
Can I replant my carrots?

Started by steroyle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 14:24
by paintedlady
xx
Can I replant my jerusalem artichokes ?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 13:46
by lucywil
xx
Keeping Shallots to replant

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 21:20
by Totty

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 28 queries.