Meat Chicks

• 7 Replies

Cougar

Meat Chicks
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:50 »
Help - my eyes are starting to pop out of my head and i don't feel like i'm learning anything fast.
I want to start keeping meat growers. I already have some fab egg layers. I'm looking for suppliers of meat chicks and also local slaughter/butcher in surrey. Trying to find books that tell me the facts is an impossible task, and the web is too much............... :wacko:

Your assistance appreciated

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Meat Chicks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 13:34 »
I can't help you with nitty-gritty, but I can recommend a book that shows howto do the deed....

9780715321980 Living with chickens by Jay Rossier.
It's got a whole chapter on "butchering your meat birds"

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 13:39 »
How many meat chicks at a time do you want?  We get ours from Simon Skinner of Poulet-anglais.  Although he is in Lincolnshire, he delivers countrywide.  If you are not on a delivery route, his driver can meet you somewhere, say a service station on a motorway near you or whatever!

chicks delivered are 80p each, and I have known him willing to sell just 10 as long as you are near a delivery route.  Give him a ring or an email.  He's a lovely bloke!!!!

pouletanglais@ukonline.co.uk

01790 763066

07787 533325

Sorry can't help with the slaughter etc in your area, but its very easy to do it yourself.

Cougar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 14:17 »
Many many thanks - recommendations is what i need on the book front it saves so much time and money !  :)  I'll try Simon, looking for about 20 to 30 chicks so will see what he can do.

much thanks

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 19:29 »
i'm with Grannie on this one, i got my fist and second lot of meat chicks from Thirsk, out of the first lot 7died in the first 24 hours, out of the second lot we lost 14 (they had got cold and wet, and were left in someone's garage overnight before we got them) i got the last  lot from Simon (picked them up a Scotch corner service station) they all survived (except the one i reversed over cos i didn't see it  :ohmy:) they are now 10 weeks old and doing well.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 19:36 »
You'll have to let us know how you get on Cougar!  We have had several lots of chicks from Simon now, and I know someone who has had hatching eggs from him too, and our mortality rates have been VERY low from the chicks, maybe one or 2, but last time no dead.  and his hatching rates are good too.

Which ones did you have TMG?  They are nearly killing age now!!!!

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 00:50 »
Many many thanks - recommendations is what i need on the book front it saves so much time and money !  :)  I'll try Simon, looking for about 20 to 30 chicks so will see what he can do.

much thanks

doing some searches on here will yield a lot of info.
 +1 for simon skinner.  100% survival rate although i did pick them up myself.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:53 »
We collect ours too, but Simon even sends chicks down to the falkland Islands!!!!  He delivers them to RAF Brize Norton and the RAF take them down!!!! :) :)

xx
meat chicks . where to get them from

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 11:54
by R66VEY
xx
I got my meat chicks !!

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 22:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
meat chicks are coming!!

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 22:44
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.