Organising seeds

• 25 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Organising seeds
« on: February 10, 2009, 19:31 »
Not sure if this should be on here or "chat"? - please don't put me on the norty step ???
How do you organise storing your seeds? I have lots of different veggie seeds all mixed up, some unopened, some open but Ok and some open & ancient :lol:
Do you file them by month, veggie type, what about successional sowing? I could get verrrry technical, what works so you don't find some forgotten out of date F1 seeds in November?
(Can't you tell I've got too much time on my hands?) :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Organising seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 19:40 »
In order of sowing.

Sucessions I drop back in the pile, but later on.

I also keep a rough guide to sowing times to remind me of successions especially as I'm not all that good with them. (I hate it when the tomatoes finally come in, but I've forgotten to re sow the lettuce!).

No doubt one or two will have fancy databases, crossed reference to a cardex system with alert on Outlook as a back-up etc., but I find I can't beat a semi-orderly pile with paper & pencil!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 19:45 »
Every single day I get mine out..............(the seeds thankyou)  :ohmy:

they are all in a biscuit tin seperated into month date for sowing in their own plastic bags, in my journal I write dates, depth, spacing,  how to sow etc. (once I've asked the relevant questions on here that is)  ;)

If this site ever closes down, I'm up the swanee 'bout a paddle  :blink:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 20:15 »
I organise my seeds in january when there nowt else to do, throw away the seeds that are out of date or didnt germinate well last year, then write a list if the seeds I want to plant this year in my diary in order of month
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 20:30 »
write a list if the seeds I want to plant this year in my diary in order of month

Somehow there always seems to be a gap between the diary and the seeds.
Something always falls through it ???
So this year i've put deviders in the box for each month's sowings and sorted the seeds like that. I plan to write on the deviders the date when i do sow each pkt. I'll move the pkts on for successional sowing.That way the info stays in the same place as the seeds. Let's see if it 'werks for me' :D :D

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 20:51 »
I've sorted by variety, but I also catalogued them (it was something to do when the ground was buried!), and made graphs showing planting times, planting out times and length of time in the ground.  Whether this will be any improvement on last year, time will tell; it's got to be better than my mother's approach of slinging everything in a bag and then losing the bags!  I don't tend to throw out old seed, but instead do a germination test at the very beginning of the sowing period for that variety, so that if it fails I have time to buy more.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 20:57 »
I'm about as organised as a pack rat at a jumble sale, there's  a tin with loads of seed packets in  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 21:21 »
When Im bored, I go through my 'spare' seeds anyway, (usually on a saturday when theres a football match Im not bothered about)
I sit on my back garden steps and get me seeds out  :D So its not often I let any get forgotten about

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 21:25 »
I've got a big plastic bag of seeds from ages ago, a good satchell type bag with seeds a couple of years old and a box with seeds I've got for this year.

Dunno what I will have next year!
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 21:30 »
Paper pencil, seeds organised into sowing times in january when I do my ordering and planning, successional seeds re sealed with tape and put back in the pile

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 21:51 »
I have a shoebox with packets and things in.

Will have a rummage through at some point and realise I should have sowed a month previously (hopefully that will be a practice of the past now that I can follow dates here - and refer back to last year's online diary)

I live in hope, anyway  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bombers

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 22:02 »
I've got a big plastic re-sealable box full of my seeds in the garage, and when you all start to talk about them, I'll get 'em out and think about sowing. ::) :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 22:20 »
I've got a big plastic re-sealable box full of my seeds in the garage, and when you all start to talk about them, I'll get 'em out and think about sowing. ::) :D

How do you resist just getting them out to look at them every once in a while. Amazing tiny little bundles of promise. OH thinks I'm completely mad!

aubergine

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 22:55 »
I`m with you rainbow1... ;)

woodburner

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 23:10 »
I sort mine alphabetically while figuring out what I need to buy for the coming season, then when the time comes to start sowing, I sort them into sowing order. They are in a box just big enough that they stay upright, in a cool room.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

question
Organising a completely rotovated plot?

Started by Thrifty Chiffchaff on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2022, 00:56
by Rob the rake
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Seeds

Started by PaulaK on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 13:32
by PaulaK
xx
First seeds on the way!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 14:11
by freefolk

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 31 queries.