Liming soil

• 2 Replies

Goosegirl

Liming soil
« on: February 09, 2009, 15:57 »
Anyone out there who could advise me on liming my soil. I know it sweetens it and my silty soil is about neutral pH and it will help create a better soil structure. I've never limed before and I'm not sure how long after liming I can add my rotted sheep manure.  :unsure:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

beansticks

Re: Liming soil
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 16:01 »
I usually add manure in the late autumn,and lime in the late winter.In your case i would leave at least 6 -8 weeks between.All depends on how rotted your manure is i suppose.

Stripey_cat

Re: Liming soil
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 21:45 »
If your soil is about neutral, you don't need to lime it unless you want to grow chalk-lovers.  Most soil is on the acid side of neutral (pH 6-7), so that's what most plants are adapted to.  One possible exception is brassicas, because clubroot is much less successful at slightly alkaline pH.  However, if clubroot isn't a problem in your patch, and if you want to grow potatoes which need a slightly acid soil, don't do it!  The lightening texture thing is for heavy clays, and the sweetening is for soils that are very acid (ie acid enough that bacterial activity is dropping off like in a peat bog), so you don't need it for either reason.  If you overlime (or lime healthy soil like yours) you'll risk mineral deficiencies and certain diseases like potato scab, and you'll upset the soil fauna and bacteria that you want to encourage.

xx
Liming Soil

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:36
by Trillium
xx
Soil pH and liming

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 17:49
by poultrygeist
xx
liming clay soil

Started by VickyR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 21:35
by shaun
xx
liming

Started by kirstin-11 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:55
by Trillium

Page created in 1.345 seconds with 28 queries.