?fungus on compost

• 2 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

?fungus on compost
« on: February 08, 2009, 13:14 »
I'm growing some peppers in pots, they were sown in modules and then transplanted into 4 inch pots once they had their proper leaves. Last weekend I noticed the compost had a white crust to it, so i sprayed with cheshunt compound, but it's back this week >:(
The seedlings seem healthy enough, should I spray again, ignore, repot or remove top cm of compost and replace with fresh? - I'm watering from underneath, they're stood on the windowsill in kitchen in old grillpans
thx

Trillium

Re: ?fungus on compost
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 16:03 »
Sounds like recurring fungus from overwatering. Despite watering from below, it sounds like you're overly generous with the wet stuff. At this stage plants need to be only lightly moist, which means frequent checkings rather than a few heavy waterings.
Plus, the area they're in might be a bit too cold, which indicates the fungus recurrence.
Spray again, move plants to a slightly warmer area and limit the watering to necessity. You could try the cooled chamomile tea spray which is an excellent fungicide.

Janeymiddlewife

Re: ?fungus on compost
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 18:57 »
Thanks trillium, they're in the kitchen which is warm, but very humid which probably doesn't help. I'll let them dry out - what strength camomile tea should I use - I've got plenty of it and would prefer using that to Cheshunt compound

xx
Compost and fungus gnats?

Started by Joolz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 20:31
by Joolz
xx
fungus

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 20:22
by nobby
xx
what fungus is this?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 19:03
by 8doubles
xx
A lot of fungus this year

Started by deneview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 19:21
by splodger

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 34 queries.