DIY birdbath

• 5 Replies

Trillium

DIY birdbath
« on: February 06, 2009, 18:03 »
Here's a video link to a DIY concrete birdbath that's not hard to make. I've made something very similar. Just make sure that the sand mound is somewhat high in the centre so it will give you some adequate water capacity when finished.

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath-video.php

Parsnip

Re: DIY birdbath
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 18:44 »
What a great idea, looks really smart. Not sure what he have in the UK that has that sized leaf though...Rhubarb maybe? ???

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 18:49 »
What a great idea, looks really smart. Not sure what he have in the UK that has that sized leaf though...Rhubarb maybe? ???
Gunnera manicata! brilliant, i Like that!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 20:34 »
Varieties of giant leaved hostas will work as well. My bath was made in a circular shape with smaller hosta leaves around the 'outside' and a pebble design in the centre resulting in a sunflower appearance. Sorry, no pix posted yet.
Just remember that you need deeply ribbed leaves to get that veined effect. Rhubarb leaves would also work if you shape it the same, and the leaf bottoms must face up towards you so that the concrete you slap on top will take on the veining.

And the sandpile is important. Take time to shape it well because you can't alter it after making the concrete part.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 20:39 by Trillium »

Vember

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 22:55 »
That's fantastic thanks for posting it Trillium :)

Will have a go, birthday pressy sorted for Mother me thinks :D
Got her a bird feeding station last year :)

Sarah :D

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:07 »
Hope it works for you Vember, it really isn't hard at all to do. I did mine slightly differently; my sand was slightly damp which made for easier molding and I didn't have the plastic wrap over top. We just put the leaf over the damp sand and the concrete on the leaf. Just keep the concrete about 1" from all leaf edges or it's a mess later. It's important not to move the sand/concrete shape for the 48 hours, more if you've made a thick 'bath'. Once its dried, you can flip the shape over and let the air dry out the leaf which is easily brushed off later, or peeled. If there are some rough edges, a metal file will quickly smooth things out before painting.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 37 queries.