Any trouble on your site

• 6 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Any trouble on your site
« on: February 01, 2009, 18:33 »
The only site i could get is not in the best of areas to have your lot  ::) but its a plot just wondered if anyone has any problems with stuff going missing (crops, tools).

The guy that runs the site said its quite good they dont get to much trouble since having new fencing around part of the site.

Our plot is close to the old fencing that might get replaced, i was thinikng of a nice thick hawthorn and black thorn hedge along the top of the bank to put people off of trying to gain access near my plot.  (i have only had it 36 hours and im getting all protective of it.

I must sound like a mad man hahahhaha honest im. not i just know how effective a layed hedge can be in a few years time.   And i would get the pleasure of laying the hedge aswell

My question is do you get any trouble i would hate it for anything to happen with all the work we have to put in
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=30105.0

Kris
Thanks
Kris

bisgedyn

Re: Any trouble on your site
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 19:42 »

Yes, we had someone round breaking into sheds the other day, took my boot scraper and broke the shed lock :-(

It hasn't happened for a couple of years though.

FCG

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 20:07 »
If you do decide to go with this - go with blackthorn! You'll have some lovely sloe gin ingredients to hand. Haws you can find anywhere dotted about but blackthorn seem to be a bit rarer. Plus it'll make your day when it flowers early in the year.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 20:45 »
We've had some trouble and our shed had an attempted break-in at it, although the shed we purchased had a mortice lock already part of it, and my hubby had also put on a padlock.  The committee of our allotment informed the police, and although they couldn't help, they gave everyone on the allotment site a battery control alarm.  These are very good.  Hopefully, this will deter the kids (we see them hanging about sometimes).  I would go for blackberry (or bramble for a better word).  They grow fast, are vicious in their thorns, and you get a good crop of berries in Autumn.   I have a hedge of them at the back of my plot.  I cut them down after fruiting, and they are back up and running by early summer.  Now I don't get any problems.  Also, if you want some flowers, plant climbing or rambling roses - the ones with the thorns.  Again, great for two things, the flowers and they also attract greenfly which you don't want on your veggies.  However, if you want a nice hedge, try holly.  Only problem is they are slow to grow, but they do grow very dense.
Babs

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 21:54 »
best bet is a fence hedging is too slow IMHO  get a fence up then plant the hedge just inside and yes I would lay the hedge when it had grown enough. Its a really satisfying job only a hobby for me but so relaxing
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

dazza

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 00:41 »
we had some trouble just after Christmas - i don't bother locking my shed - they tend to go for the bigger the padlock the more goodies inside - th emore damage to repair.

Keep it simple i say !

Darren

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:08 »
I like the idea of Blackthorn due to it being so nasty  ???  And yes it will produce a crop aswell, I also love hedge laying its great to look along the line when done and think yeah theres not to many people that can do that.     

I got to look into getting a shed and was wondering if i should go for a big window so that if anyone does think about going in there they can see that theres not an awful lot in there. 

I am being sily i guess i just know that the area around is not the best but its the only site i could get. 

Kris

xx
Pea trouble

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:04
by Jake
clip
Tomato trouble

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 13:31
by Elmarto
xx
Wind trouble

Started by solway cropper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 08:57
by diggerjoe
xx
Compost bin trouble..

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 22:49
by Dandelion

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 28 queries.