POLYTUNNEL - odd question

• 4 Replies

RichardA

POLYTUNNEL - odd question
« on: February 01, 2009, 18:01 »
Putting up my polytunnel this weekend has gone very well - will need a calmer warmer weekend to put cover on but looking very good -- odd question came to mind. Around the outside grass and weeds will grow unless I do something about them -- supplier says herbicides could affect polythene and clearly strimming etc is not a  good idea up against the poly so how does everyone else keep margins tidy????????? Slabs ?? Bark chippings ?? gravel ??
Will cultivate upto tunnel on outside at front side and two ends have doors and hence paths but at back is about a yard from a hedge but ground still needs to be kept tidy. Ideas would be appreciated.
R

Trillium

Re: POLYTUNNEL - odd question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 18:21 »
Invest in some heavy duty ground cover that you'll pin to the side of the tunnel base and extend as far as needed and hold down with pins and or stones/bricks, etc. The heavy duty stuff is durable and weeds cannot push through as they can in lighter weight stuff. I'm using the stuff commercial greenhouses lay on their floors and its working well.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 19:27 »
Sorry Trillium thanks for that but perhaps my question was not as clear as it shoudl have been -- Inside is not the problem as all will be either paving slab path or cultivated beds, do you do anything outside to keep weeds down around the immediate perimeter outside ??????????

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 19:32 »
I meant the outside and not the inside. Outside is where the weeds are and that's what I did with my trouble areas. If you put some sort of mulch on top of the groundcover then it will be protected for a few years longer than if left bare and will also look nicer. If you want to see what I mean, check out this link at what they've done outside their greenhouse which isn't covered with mulch.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/blueberries-cranberries-growing/

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:46 »
much appreciated
R

xx
Polytunnel question

Started by twee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 18:00
by Salkeela
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
polytunnel

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:15
by Lee1978

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 37 queries.