Scissor Beak?

• 12 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
Scissor Beak?
« on: February 01, 2009, 14:48 »
Hello,  I put 11 eggs in the bater, and today was hatching day so far 9 have hatched out.  One, a little birchen hen, has Scissor beak.  I just bought the hen and roo, and thought I would hatch some of their eggs.  I tried to find some info on how to correct it.  Im not comming up with anything.  Can someone please help me.  I don't want to kill it,  I would much rather try to help it.  Will it survive.  What caused it?   Is it inharit?  yf betty

Vember

Re: Scissor Beak?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 14:57 »
Hi Betty

Not heard the term scissor beak before  :blush:

I have found this link from WR1 from when she had a problem with one of her chicks beaks, is it similar to that?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=23297.msg276271#msg276271

Sarah :D

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 15:02 »
Oh yeh  that's it.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 15:20 »
Thank you Vember.  I'm not sure it will make it to that size.  It's just a few hrs. old, and not breathing to good.  It's breathing compared to the others is quite faster.  It's sad.  We call it sissor beak over here in the US, funny how it still means the same thing.  I think Cross Beak makes it eaiser to figure out.   I would like to know more about it.  Thank you again, yf Betty

Vember

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 15:38 »

Found some other info here (although more for cage birds) http://www.avianweb.com/beakdeformities.html

Will keep my fingers crossed for the little one :)

Sarah :)

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 19:37 »
  :(  I'm sorry to say but the little hen is in chickie heaven.  My husband did it a favor.  I felt that as it got older it would lead to more problems keeping up.  I feel bad,  also I noticed it's little head was deformed too.  I don't know, I only got the mommy hen on Jan.  4,09, and put her eggs in on Jan 11, so I'm hoping if was a gene thing, it wasn't the hens fault and maybe the roo she was with before I got her had the problem,  I'll wait at least a month, wich is soon, and try it with my roo anyhow.  The other ones are fine.  Thank you for all the help.  yf Betty

Vember

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 19:45 »
:( That's sad but probably for the best, better than suffering long term :(

I've read that a hen can still lay fertile eggs from a previous Cockerel for up to 3 weeks after they've been separated? So maybe in a month when your boy is "doing the do" all will be well :)

Glad the others are all doing ok :D

Sarah :)

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 19:47 »
Aww im so sorry

Our one Vember menshoned is still with us it is very bad but he is very good to keep coz he is pritty old but doesnt crow  :)

Catiii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 16:20 »
I was wondering how it turned out.  I have to get used to doing this, if it should happen again, or somthing.  I am still pretty new to the chicken keeping ::)  I have delt with them becomming sick and not eating and then dieing, this was my first cull.  I didn't like it, but somehow it's better this way.  good luck with your little one, I am glad you kept it :nowink:  yf Betty

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 17:47 »
I've got one like that, it looked fine when it hatched but mum abandoned it. I found it in the nick of time on a cold afternoon about a year ago. It was slower growing than the other chick from the same type egg even from the start, but it was a few weeks before we noticed the top beak growing at an angle and it got worse. Originally I put down the different growth rates to possibly being different sexes, but they have both turned out to be cockerels, and should really have been in the pot months ago. (How do you kill a bird that you rescued from death and hand reared?  :( :( :(
I wouldn't keep a bird like that again, there is obviously more wrong with it than just a crossed beak, even now he's not as big as his brother, and they are both crowing.  :blush:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:53 »
I know what you are saying :(  I know in that case I would let nature take it's course.  I knew if I kept it around much longer, it would have joined the pecking order, and I thought  with all it's problems, it was bad enough.  Geeees, now I feel like I killed the Little Hero Peep or something :ohmy:  No  I'm just thankful for this site, you learn what to watch for, and if your not sure someone on this site will tell you, either from their own trials or point you in the direction to read about it, and decide for yourself.  Thank you all for your suport, (another thing I like about this site :happy:) yf Betty and HERO PEEP

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:41 »
There is an easy way to cull small birds that is humane and hands off.

Use a Gladware container that is large enough to hold the chick and give it room to move about. Then take some starting fluid that you can get at most auto parts houses and soak a rag with it. Place the chick and the rag in the container and seal the lid. The chick will just go into a deep sleep and then pass on.

The starting fluid has Ether in it which for many years was used in surgery as an anistetic. It is also highly flamable so do this outside near NO open flames or smoking materials.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 15:27 »
That really sounds good the whole way around. Less stress for the bird, and the after effects on you would be eaisier.  Thanks for that info. ( that could be sticky Material) yf Betty

xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook
xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady
exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 28 queries.