treating raised vegetable box

• 11 Replies
« on: January 25, 2009, 22:32 »
i've plans for 3 raised veg boxes and have bought & cut and am now in the process of treating the wood with cuprinol timbercare ...
now before you start laughing, please understand i am very green and was assured by a friend who grows that this treatment is fine.

i've now got my doubts about how safe this actually is.

now lets just say that i've already treated most of the timber and that it's not safe ..
what is the best way to prevent any leaching into the soil ?
some sort of plastic barrier like a fertiliser bag maybe ?

please be gentle with your replies, i hope to use your expertise in future (so long as i haven't grown 2 heads after eating my mutant veg)

thanks
robert  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 22:49 »
Hi Robert welcome to the forums  :D

Which cuprinol timbercare are we talking about ? is it the waterbased shed and fence paint if so you should be ok. If your really worried there a technical help line number on the tin, their always pretty helpful.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 23:05 »
hi richy and thanks for the welcome !

it's the cuprinol fence and shed water based watchamahullahthingy

when all is ready we are going to be organic growers so i was worried about getting toxins from the treatment, or even worse, a bollockin from my missus when she realises what a balls i've made of it .... or maybe not !

i emailed cuprinols website help centre, but in the meantime i thought i'd ask some other experts ! (crawl crawl!) as i'm halfway through painting the wood and didn't want to continue if it was deemed unsafe.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 23:24 »
It will probably go against any organic principles to be honest, but whether it will leach into the soil I honestly don't know. Best wait for cuprinol's response, but do let us know the answer.

Coltar223

• http://www.TheEdibleGardener.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:48 »
Could I suggest you take note of the ingredients on the paint tin and then 'Google' that info to find out the exact action they may have with soil/water/food chain.

The manufacturers may only give you a limited description of the chemicals. However, if you research the multitude of info online re treated wood you can easily form your own opinion.

Good luck with the missus!!

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:05 »
you could line the beds with builders blue membrane... would also mean the wood will last longer too......
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 17:12 »
thanks for your responses guys,
cuprinol have replied and have advised against using timbercare, but recommended their Cuprinol Wood Preserver (Green)

this is typical of me not doing my homework !!

have googled and found the membrane you suggested john so will get some of that on pay day. i like the idea of it helping the boxes last longer and will use this reason for when my missus asks why i've treated AND lined it !!

'belt and braces luv, belt and braces... '

thanks again

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 18:22 »
Quote from: "greenasiamcabbagelooking"
t'belt and braces luv, belt and braces... '

Good luck with that one .... how long you been married? ;)

Â¥

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Re: treating raised vegetable box
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54 »
thanks for your responses guys,
cuprinol have replied and have advised against using timbercare, but recommended their Cuprinol Wood Preserver (Green)

this is typical of me not doing my homework !!

have googled and found the membrane you suggested john so will get some of that on pay day. i like the idea of it helping the boxes last longer and will use this reason for when my missus asks why i've treated AND lined it !!

'belt and braces luv, belt and braces... '

thanks again

When I say line I do only mean the insides of the wood and not the bottom  ;)

richardoram

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 13:07 »
you could always treat the timber with linseed oil, I have heard that is a good natural preservative.

Richard

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 00:05 »
cheers yabba, but we ain't married mate ... feel too old to call her me 'girlfriend', 'partner' is too businesslike and 'bird' will get me slapped !

john i'm green, but not that green !!  i'm gonna post some pics when all is done and prove my gardenerliness !!

and cheers Richard, but i've already painted most of the wood with the toxic avenger fake tan range !!

am gonna post a query re: a troublesome phormium so hope to see you all again !

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 00:05 »
I also have been looking for something suitable to treat my raised beds.Have followed the advice about Cuprinol wood preserver green and although the product is quite expensive in local diy stores.The cheapest place to buy from is online at www.woodcaredirect.co.uk
They do sell smaller quanties, but because i have several beds to treat i purchased a 25ltr tin for £110.77 inculsive of p+p :ohmy:.Sounds expensive i know but still works out alot cheaper than the local diy stores.Delivery within 24/48hrs.
pol

xx
treating wood for raised bed...

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 14:07
by PAH48
xx
Raised vegetable beds?

Started by Hollyjim on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 07:12
by davel831
xx
Feeding my raised vegetable beds

Started by ceeci on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 14:32
by ceeci
xx
Treating soil

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 18:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 1.222 seconds with 37 queries.