windy greenhouse help

• 2 Replies

scottishislandlass

windy greenhouse help
« on: January 25, 2009, 14:15 »
my dream is to have beds on two walls and a brick/slab path in the centre, and for it to have a base three bricks high or so to try and get more space.  however i'm being told i should have a full concrete slab floor, and i don't know what's best.
it's not an expensive greenhouse and only 6x8 with plastic panes and an aluminium base.  it gets pretty windy up here so i don't know which base would be more secure.  it might be my greenhouse, but it seems the family are intent on arguing about it and i'm not looking forward to the day it's going up!  any tips welcome...

Goosegirl

Windy greenhouse help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 16:41 »
If you look at the map for Thurnham where I am in the north of England on the west coast, you will see that the land is completely flat and the only thing between me and the Irish sea is a large sycamore tree - boy, can it be windy here! I bought a Robinson's greenhouse which is a good solid one but, even so, I'm sure it has been affected, albeit only very, very slightly - either that or a bit of subsidence after all the rain - the plot was ankle deep in water (and so was my cottage last January but we won't go there). I have a bed down one third and the rest is gravel and paving slabs by the bench. Personally, I don't think it matters if you have beds or not, it's the quality of the greenhouse and a solid base that's important. As you already have the greenhouse then go for it and try to find some sheltered spot that gets the sun if you can - and start saving up in case it all goes t**'s up. Best of luck.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pushrod

windy greenhouse help
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 22:18 »
you are right about putting it on bricks to gain extra height - most cheap to medium price green houses do not have enough height at the eaves and you will be stopping your tomatoes when they are still going strong.

Putting concrete footings down to set  blue bricks on is much more time consuming (and expensive to a builder because of repeated trips) than just laying slabs on sand. What about a compromise of putting one layer of bricks on top of the slabs?

Many people do use the soil/ ground inside their greenhouse to plant in but there are also lots who just buy fresh compost every year to avoid the build up of soil borne pests (i am in the 2nd group).
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
Windy Pea's :o(

Started by AlotArds on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 12:22
by JayG
xx
Windy Weather

Started by Tinbasher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 14:27
by Aidy
xx
windy yesterday

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 22:10
by DD.
xx
Windy weather...

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:29
by New shoot

Page created in 0.811 seconds with 28 queries.