Windy Weather

• 4 Replies

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Windy Weather
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:54 »
How has everyone coped with the March winds we now get in June?  I thought the Bank Holiday in May was bad enough - it snapped about 4 sunflowers that were just starting to come up nicely, say about a foot high, overturned a cold frame and broke 6 tomato plants that I had nurtured from indoor sowings from March and did various other damage.  The other day (sunday), with more plants put outside and getting to a height, it was even worse.  24 French beans have been shredded, most of them snapped (or at least kinked badly) at ground level, 9 runner beans on a Munty Frame have been shredded, 2 of them broken low down, all remaining sunflowers have been damaged, tomatoes outside have had leaves stripped off them, fruit has been stripped off bushes, especially currants.  The list is endless.

It's my first year with an allotment on open ground.  All the stuff in my garden (walled on 3 sides) has fared much better, having had some protection by being enclosed, but on the allotment the only things that seem to have withstood the winds are the potatoes - low growing, tough stems, earthed up to give some support.  The onions seem alive still, though all the foliage has been laid flat.  Everything else, more tender and fragile has been decimated.  I've made a vow that next year, no tender plants will be going on the plot.  I'll keep all that for the garden, and the only things that I'll put on the allotment are potatoes and leeks.  Brassicas may be ok I've thought, being low and tough, and I have 2 dozen winter and savoy cabbage still in pots to go out in a week or two.  I'm glad I haven't put them out yet.  It all seems a waste of land though not to try loads of varieties of veg, and I know that by next Feb/March, I'll have changed my mind and be hopeful to have allsorts on the plot.  The garden at home isn't big enough either to fit in everything that I feel needs more protection.

Has this year (once again) been abnormal and I've just suffered a freak series of events?  The winds the other day were gale force (midsummer's day or thereabouts) and I can't imagine I could have done more in the way of staking or tying in, even if I had anticipated winds of such fury.

How has everyone else fared?

Jen

• Experienced Member
Windy Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39 »
it's all sent to try us, that's allotmentering for you
..no two years the same, we'll be complaining bout
some-ut else next year.  :roll:  :roll:

jen     :flower:

Helen G

Windy Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 13:42 »
Grr!  I leave the garden unattended for one weekend whilst I visit my folks, and what do I find when I get back? - total carnage. :evil:

On closer inspection, most of my veg seems to have survived; onion foliage a bit bent over, peas & mangetout blown off their frames, even my tubs of toms seem to have coped with being toppled over, although their stakes are no longer anywhere near vertical...

The only realy casualties are my spuds - nearly all of them have been blown over (then again, I suspect this is my own fault for planting them too close together, it's the only explanation I can think of for them growing 4' high!).

I really feel for you Tinbasher, best of luck salvaging what's left.

peterjf

weather
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 14:03 »
in my opinion this bad and windy weather is mother nature kicking our butts and reminding us that she is in control of most things , well , apart from my misses ,

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Windy Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 14:27 »
Quote from: "Jen"
it's all sent to try us, that's allotmentering for you
..no two years the same, we'll be complaining bout
some-ut else next year.  :roll:  :roll:

jen     :flower:

True. No one ever said it was easy.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Windy weather...

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:29
by New shoot
xx
Hardening off veggies and windy weather

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 19:34
by arugula
xx
Windy Pea's :o(

Started by AlotArds on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 12:22
by JayG
xx
windy greenhouse help

Started by scottishislandlass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 22:18
by pushrod

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.