Growing Garlic

• 16 Replies

Limey153

Growing Garlic
« on: January 23, 2009, 13:57 »
I am planning on growing Garlic this year and was intending to sow in the spring. However I have been onto a website and it shows that Garlic are to be sowed no later than middle of February. Is this correct? Do I need to be putting in my Garlic very soon?

(as you can tell I'm new to all this) any advice greatly appreciated. :)

penance

Growing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 14:05 »
Many people put garlic in late in the year, mine went in at the start of November ready for cropping this summer.

You could stick it in now, you should get a crop from it, just might be a bit smaller.

milkman

Growing Garlic
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 14:26 »
i'm planning to plant mine asap, ran out of time at the end of last year.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Growing Garlic
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 14:28 »
October for mine!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mikem

• Experienced Member
Growing Garlic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 14:49 »
Mine went in on 6th October after a spell in the fridge.  All up and doing well although I had to net mine as, I presume, birds were pulling them up.  They weren't touching the onion sets.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Growing Garlic
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 14:53 »
Mine went in in November as they need a cold period to make them split into cloves.
I'd put  them in cold part of fridge if you're gonna store them for a bit longer, so at least they 'get the message' :lol:

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
Growing Garlic
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 14:59 »
I always plant mine in late March or Early April and harvest at the end of August.

Always works for me but it's still cold enough up here in April to give them the cold spell they need.

These were planted April 1st last year and pulled on August 25th.

So whoever you said it was who said that Garlic  should be planted no later than mid Feb is clearly wrong. :lol:

Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

DavidM31

Growing Garlic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 15:06 »
You say that you are going to "sow garlic" I presume that you mean that you purchased some bulbs from a reputable source and you wish to plant them.
I suggest that if you seperate each clove from the bulb and plant them into individual 9cm pots,or those really useful homemade paper ones, and then place them on a greenhouse bench or a windowsill they will soon catch up the earlier planted ones. When the garlic has grown a shoot, then harden them off before transplanting them with a trowel into there growing positions. Then you will get a crop even if not as big and juicy as the November planted ones.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough we must do.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 15:09 »
Quote from: "DavidM31"
You say that you are going to "sow garlic" I presume that you mean that you purchased some bulbs from a reputable source and you wish to plant them.
I suggest that if you seperate each clove from the bulb and plant them into individual 9cm pots,or those really useful homemade paper ones, and then place them on a greenhouse bench or a windowsill they will soon catch up the earlier planted ones. When the garlic has grown a shoot, then harden them off before transplanting them with a trowel into there growing positions. Then you will get a crop even if not as big and juicy as the November planted ones.

I'm going to disagree on this and would put them straight in the ground... they need the cold to 'catch up' so to speak and molly coddling them inside and hardening them off would not be my recommendation
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

DavidM31

Growing Garlic
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 15:10 »
Hi vegmandan

What a great picture and a smashing crop of garlic, I hope mine turn out like that next August.

Trillium

Growing Garlic
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 15:20 »
I must agree with s n; garlic are extremely tough and will benefit from going straight in the ground now. They originally come from Siberia and need no soft treatments, but they do need that in-soil cold spell to trigger proper development.

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
Growing Garlic
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 15:20 »
Well all I can say is get yerself down to Wilkos.

These were from their planting bulbs at a ridiculous price of £1.49 for 3 big bulbs.

They are actually purple although you can't tell,and they store amazingly well. :)

Limey153

Growing Garlic
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 15:27 »
Well, thankyou ever so much every one. Think I shall be popping out tommorrow to plant them. I have got some bulbs on order from Thompson and Morgan but they have not arrived yet so I quickly nipped down to the garden centre earlier today and got a couple of 'Solent Wight' bulbs. I'll give them a try.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Growing Garlic
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 15:36 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I must agree with s n; garlic are extremely tough and will benefit from going straight in the ground now. They originally come from Siberia and need no soft treatments, but they do need that in-soil cold spell to trigger proper development.

Make that 3 votes for!

mikem

• Experienced Member
Growing Garlic
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 15:46 »

xx
Garlic for growing

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 20:37
by shokkyy
xx
Growing Garlic

Started by Folger on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 10:11
by Kristen
xx
Growing garlic 101

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 14:33
by bonfire
xx
Growing garlic

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 18:54
by zazen999

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 32 queries.