Strawberry, time for a haircut?

• 5 Replies

Bombers

« on: January 22, 2009, 22:14 »
My strawberry's are looking quite healthy. I've cut back lsome of last years 'old' growth (in a small area), to find nice new growth underneath all the old foliage. Would you clear the bed now??... or wait until the weather improves a little. I'm a bit worried that the exposed young growth will be checked by a bad frosts...??? what's the general consensus of opinion out there my fellow gardening experts? :roll:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

pushrod

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 22:18 »
strawberrys seem very hardy but i think i would leave it a few weeks for some warmer weather just in case - i'm no expert on strawberrys mind :wink:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 23:17 »
Strawberries come under the 'tough as old boots' category and will easily come through some cleanup pruning of old growth. But if you're still worried, trim off the old growth and just drop it on top for a while. When the weather is better you can gently rake it all off.

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57 »
Thanks Trillium/Pushrod. My thought was that in clearing the old growth, I would expose some of the undesirables (Bugs'n'slugs) to the weather. This will be their second year, so they're well established (Marshmallows) what do you think?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32 »
The old way around Wisbech used to be to choose a dry day to ruffle up the old straw between the rows and set fire to it. Got rid of the old straw, burned off all the dead leaves and killed the bugs. Cannot remember whether this used to happen in the Autumn or Spring.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 15:17 »
I've no idea whether or not you have the suggested old straw around your plants, but this will be your peak year for cropping and unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't set any fire to your beds. The pests will be buried deep in the plant or in the soil so it would be better to simply spot treat them when you see them with some sort of insecticidal soap spray, or make your own which you can google many recipes for. The berries will be forming soon and don't mind the soap at all, which can easily be washed off. Just be sure not to spray anything when the flowers are opening as this will kill or deter pollinating bees.

xx
First Time Strawberry Grower

Started by mozza15 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 23:01
by mozza15
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
strawberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2015, 21:06
by JayG

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.