absolute beginner

• 8 Replies

scotty

absolute beginner
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:15 »
Hi, sure you have all heard this before....i'm a beginner and new to veg and fruit growing, i do believe this coming year will be a very steep learning curve. read as much as i can, but most info for seeding,planting etc is all based on the south timings. can anyone advise on good old scottish timings? and yes as i write we do have snow on the ground!

cheers
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
absolute beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:29 »
Hi Scotty

Welcome to the forums

Right about 1 thing mate it will be a steep learning curve. But remember this is a hobby don't let it become a chore Learn a bit do a bit . I've been gardening for over 30 years and still learning .

Scottish timing I can't help with but somebody will know. at a rough guess 3 to 4 weeks behind maybe

Good luck and have fun
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

rictic

• Experienced Member
absolute beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 21:18 »
Hello.
First of all you have found an excellent site that is full of grerat advice and information, don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how basic.
My advice from one (fairly new) allotment holder to another would be, do what it says on the label and keep it simple.
Enjoy.
Keep the faith.
Rictic.

puravida

• Experienced Member
absolute beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 21:43 »
I'd wholeheartedly agree with these two - step by step, bit by bit.

And it's amazing how much you'll learn from just throwing a few seeds in the ground and seeing what happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I've finally made that crucial mental step to accepting this will never be a 'complete' project!

Always evolving, always something needs doing or digging, or researching or planting.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
absolute beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 22:13 »
The timings in John's book and on the info pages of this site are based on the middle of the country e.g. Cheshire - so I'd add a couple of weeks or so onto those timings.  With experience, you'll get a feel for whether the soil is still too cold - perhaps worth investing in a soil thermometer for a couple of quid.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
Re: absolute beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 23:33 »
Quote from: "scotty"
Hi, sure you have all heard this before....i'm a beginner and new to veg and fruit growing, i do believe this coming year will be a very steep learning curve. read as much as i can, but most info for seeding,planting etc is all based on the south timings. can anyone advise on good old scottish timings? and yes as i write we do have snow on the ground!

cheers

I know what you mean about Southern planting times and certain books taking this to be the norm.

I basically reckon that for every 100 miles north of Cornwall you are , you should be about a week later /100 miles in sowing.

I see folks on here from the South sowing lettuce in March and I can't believe it,my ground is still frozen solid. :shock:

I'm a good month behind  the South and am about 400 miles North of them

But really It's just a matter of not sowing frost tender stuff until the risk of frost has passed as they emerge.

It's a complete pain 'cos you're chomping at the bit to get stuff sown but if you do it too early then It just dies anyway.

There's nothing to be gained from planting really early as It'll just sit there in cold soil not doing much and probably suffer from the cold.

It's all about holding fire until it's the right time.

Having said that I still always sow my lettuce far too early every year just to get going,but I just can't wait to get going. :D
Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

scotty

absolute beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31 »
thanks everyone for replies. all very helpful, i am chomping at the bit to start but the ground is either frozen solid or water logged.

have made raised beds as the soil is clay and poor. also have an endless source of well rotted horse manure as we have a livery yard, and finally i have put up a poly tunnel but can't get the plastic on yet because never seem to have a dry non-windy day! :cry:

i'm sure i will loads of silly questions to come!

cheers

matron

absolute beginner
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 14:14 »
All silly questions welcome Scotty because you can be sure that there are many of us sat here wishing we had the courage to ask them.  :lol:  :lol:
Welcome by the way.  :lol:

horsepooisgood

absolute beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 15:44 »
Welcome to the forums Scotty and good luck with it all.

xx
another absolute beginner

Started by Janet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2006, 00:27
by Beanzie
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 15:39
by Brummie
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by greenhorn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:45
by Beetroot queen
grin
Absolute NEWBIE with photos (and a story)

Started by supershedseven on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 20:39
by DHM

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 30 queries.