Potatoes - Again.

• 5 Replies

Riala

Potatoes - Again.
« on: January 12, 2009, 14:38 »
I have scoured the site and the threads previous to this one, and I have a little question that I can not find the answer too.

My 1st earlies are chitting at the moment (Dad gave them so that is why they are starting early) I plan to plant them out in March time-ish, but it will be in a container.

My question is, how many do I plant and do they have to be a certain distance apart, also, can I plant more than one layer? Like, plant a layer, then when it is time to cover the plant with more compost, can I then place another layer of seed potatoes?

des

Potatoes - Again.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 19:26 »
From what I can make sense of, 1 seed for each 15-20 litre of container (not an exact science), a few stones in the bottom for drainage, about 6" of compost/soil and then the chitted spud, sprouts skywards and cover over. when about 8" grown earth up with more soil/compost leaving top few leaves exposed. repeat till tub full of muck to brim.

please feel free to correct me as i'm a learner  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Potatoes - Again.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 19:30 »
I'd estimate about 2-3 tubers in a tub which is about 18" wide.

I wouldn't plant more than one layer, otherwise they compete for space.  But I've not grown in containers very often, so perhaps it's worth trying one this way, just to see whether yield is down where they're more crowded  :?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

des

Potatoes - Again.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 19:34 »
I've read a lot of comments saying that better yeilds have come from smaller containers, I am using 25 liter drums and intend to plant 2 seeds spuds in each, feed with tomato fertilizer and use growbag compost.

SG6

Potatoes - Again.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 19:50 »
I have planted in pots for a few years. Pots are 18ins across and will hold half a bag of compost (75litre bag). Have had best results with 3 in a pot. Tried 4 and the yeild per plant was lower. :?

I tend to mix some sand with the compost to aid drainage, say one part sand to 4 or 5 compost. Also easier to get out as you can get your hand in easier and simply feel around for them. :D  :D

Have to say that I have had better success with potatoes in pots then in the ground. So I will have 3 pots at least on the go this year, maybes more if I can locate some cheap pots. :?

Did find that Anya potatoes were good when in a pot as were pink fir apple potatoes, but seem very similar. (May have that name wrong)

sclarke624

Potatoes - Again.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 20:21 »
What sand do you use play pit sand or builders sand guessing its builders sand?  How much is a bag of sand is it cheaper or dearer than a bag of compost cos wondering if adding this will eek out price of compost.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
The first New Potatoes

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 15:44
by Gurder

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 30 queries.