What do you think??

• 17 Replies

AndyRVTR

What do you think??
« on: January 02, 2009, 16:46 »
I took my new spade down the lottie this morning and decided to break virgin ground.
I had sprayed the majority of my plot with 2 applications on Roundup 3000 around September last year, and it killed everything in sight.
This is the first time that I have dug on this allotment and it was so easy going, I dont know wether it is my new spade or just because I was feeling energetic.
I managed to double dig around 12 sq yards in about an hour, and I am well chuffed  :D
There hasnt been anything other than weeds growing for the past 4-5 years, so not sure if I need to add anything this year?

titch

What do you think??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 16:48 »
perhaps it was a combination of new spade and new year inspiration. :lol:
well done though, cnat help with your question, am a bit of a newbie myself, someone will knnow tho
just keep breathing................

MoreWhisky

What do you think??
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 17:00 »
Im looking forward to getting down to me allotment and start diggin with my new fork  :) .

Have started preperations already went to the chiroprator today. Any other gardeners have back probs?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Trillium

What do you think??
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 17:09 »
The beauty of new spades is that they're sharp which makes the world of difference in digging. Also sounds like you've got decent soil which I truly envy. If anything you might want to keep up soil health and tilth with some old manure blended into the soil and some handfuls of bone meal as well.

tallulah

What do you think??
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 17:13 »
Quote from: "MoreWhiskey"
Im looking forward to getting down to me allotment and start diggin with my new fork  :) .

Have started preperations already went to the chiroprator today. Any other gardeners have back probs?

Yes MoreWhiskey, I live in perpetual fear of my back 'going' in spectacular fashion, leaving me incapable of gardening for months.  I have just bought an azada, which is like a right-angled spade, and very sharp.  It works like a dream, and is, I believe, less risky for back problems than a standard spade.  Additionally, I do regular back strengthening exercises which really do help.

MoreWhisky

What do you think??
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 17:21 »
^'I live in perpetual fear of my back 'going' in spectacular fashion'

I know exactly what u mean. My chiro said do a little alot and actually digging a bit will help strengthen a bad back , so it not all bad news.

AndyRVTR

What do you think??
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 17:27 »
My new spade is designed especially for back sufferers, I suffer from back problems also, but found using this bit of kit an absolute breeze.
Cant wait until tomorrow and dig some more  :D

spongebob

What do you think??
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 17:43 »
i was in garden doing some digging and broke my old spade :x today
so went to B&Q to get a new one and came away with new spade and seed potatoes  :D

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
What do you think??
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 19:24 »
I broke 2 forks and a spade last year.  I need to start buying tools in bulk.  :roll:
Are we nearly there yet?

compostqueen

What do you think??
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 20:41 »
I don't dig at all due to my back going in spectacular fashion. I keep tranqs with me when at the lotty just in case  :roll:   I wish I'd had them when it conked on me last time as I was in absolute agony

I manage without digging by fluffing with a fork and hitting lumps with an azada, and growing veg which churn up the soil for me eg spuds then leeks then celeriac. My rotation is a bit different to other folks, I go for successional crops which are soil churner uppers.  I use manures, home made composts to improve my soil but never dig it in, oh and rotted leaves :D

sawnee

• Experienced Member
What do you think??
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 20:53 »
Quote from: "amandaandherveg"
I broke 2 forks and a spade last year.  I need to start buying tools in bulk.  :roll:

Try wilki's wooden handled,nice and cheap and I havent broken one yet :roll: (famous last words)
I suffer with a bad back if I stop and sit around too much( if I'm ill or if its Christmas) best to keep going, doing a bit when I can :wink:
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

MoreWhisky

What do you think??
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 22:22 »
looks like i wont be the only one leaning on me spade then.

AndyRVTR

What do you think??
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 22:55 »
Little and often, little and often... :D

AndyRVTR

What do you think??
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 23:17 »
Why cant I upload a picture?  :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
What do you think??
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 10:07 »
Andy,

Have you looked at the threads in the Notice Board forum on posting photographs, also on using the IMG or URL buttons?

Could you be confusing a URL link with an image link?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 28 queries.