frozen drinking water

• 35 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
frozen drinking water
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 23:04 »
Oh Tam - if only! Surface freezing yes the plastic ball works well as they like to peck it, but I can have a full washing up bowl of water freeze solid in half a day when it's cold.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

poultrygeist

frozen drinking water
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 23:13 »
I've found a couple of links to ideas. The first seems a bit elaborate and I've no idea if the 2nd one would work or not...

LINK1

LINK2 Option 2, digging holes.

Good luck ! :wink:

Rob 8)

desandchez

frozen drinking water
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 23:35 »
thanks for all the great replies we have placed a tennis ball in the bowl as for ther drinker we take it down each night and place it in the green house with a parafin heater. with the weather about to get colder we will have to wait and see

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
frozen drinking water
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 00:35 »
Quote from: "Jane-M"
Oh Tam - if only! Surface freezing yes the plastic ball works well as they like to peck it, but I can have a full washing up bowl of water freeze solid in half a day when it's cold.

Eep, sounds chilly! Doesn't usually get that bad here luckily. My water rabbit bottles usually stay okay with just an insulated cover.

Tam

sunshinemedic

Re: frozen drinking water
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 08:46 »
Quote from: "desandchez"
thanks for all the great replies we have placed a tennis ball in the bowl as for ther drinker we take it down each night and place it in the green house with a parafin heater. with the weather about to get colder we will have to wait and see

If you're in Leatherhead, chances are all you will need to do most of the tme is have a small drinker in the coop itself. So far the temperature has gone down to minus 5 degrees C in my part of surrey and the coop has kept my water supplies from freezing.

I obviously cannot comment on the conditions in further north!

desandchez

frozen drinking water
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 08:18 »
well it was -8 this morning the water in the bowl with the tennis ball was a complete failiure the water in the greenhouse saved the day,still with the temp this low we will just keep checking through out the day

monarch

frozen drinking water
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 09:44 »
I have tried veg oil..no success...I remember when I was younger that and old guy used to add  something called liqiud parrafin...I think it was a medicine of some kind but I have'nt tried it, my father in law says you used to get it as a LAXATIVE
If you can't catch it grow it!!

desandchez

Frozen drinking water
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 17:03 »
well nothing has worked well so far. so now i think its time to develope one of the links from a previous message, my plan is this, we have two wooden plant tubs which were half beer barrels,i'll empty one out when she is not looking invert it cut out a piece like a mouse hole, place it on a platform about 9-12 inches off the ground put a container of water water close to the mouse hole cut out, and a parafin hurican lamp the other side the barrel is placed over the whole lot might have to drill a few air holes i'll let you know how i get on

poultrygeist

frozen drinking water
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 17:39 »
Be careful. Don't want any fires  :shock:

If you can take photos, it might be of use to other members. Well done for giving it a go  :D

Rob 8)

Ygerna

frozen drinking water
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 19:04 »
Ive been using one of these..

http://www.oscardehn.com/motherandchild/handwarmers.asp

I top the water up in the morning, then late morning I activate the handwarmer and pop it into the water container. It seems to keep it from freezing, then when I shut them up for the night, I take it out, and re-activate it ready for the next day. Seems to be working, the water was still clear when I went out tonight to shut them in. :D

Foxy

frozen drinking water
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 19:41 »
Quote from: "Ygerna"

I top the water up in the morning, then late morning I activate the handwarmer and pop it into the water container. It seems to keep it from freezing, then when I shut them up for the night, I take it out, and re-activate it ready for the next day. Seems to be working, the water was still clear when I went out tonight to shut them in. :D

what a fantastic idea! Do you mind reposting in the winter tip sticky??? stop it getting lost  :D  :D

karlooben

frozen drinking water
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 20:21 »
there  is another solution to try and reading your posts made me think of it although i havent tried it yet .

for those who can get hold of horse manure or even compost soil, place it in a bucket an then somehow place your water over the top so that niether the water container or the chocks cant push it in or over an then let the natural heat from the source keep the water from freezing .maybe wrap the bucket in an old blanket or sheet of materail that will keep the warmth in more , and u know what i am going to try this tmorw although i havent really had a probelm with my water freezing all that much an we have been down to -3. i used to do this sort of thing many years ago at the stables to stop our main taps an pipes from freezing .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Ygerna

frozen drinking water
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 20:24 »
Quote from: "Foxy"

what a fantastic idea! Do you mind reposting in the winter tip sticky??? stop it getting lost  :D  :D

all done :wink:

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
frozen drinking water
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 22:25 »
Sorry to be a worry guts - the handwarmer contains sodium acetate. If it leaked into the water would it harm the birds? It does look a very elegant solution though.  Unlike mine - I am testing it over night to see if I can use it tomorrow while I am at work. Will post pics and explanation if it is successful.

Foxy

frozen drinking water
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 22:50 »
Quote from: "Foxy"

all done :wink:

thanks! :D  :D

xx
frozen drinking water

Started by cflossy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 22:37
by MontyTom
xx
Drinking Water

Started by Greg on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 13:50
by Greg
xx
not drinking much water!

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:49
by Craig69
xx
drinking water

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 28 queries.