frozen drinking water

• 35 Replies

desandchez

frozen drinking water
« on: January 01, 2009, 00:39 »
how do you stop the drinking water from freezing?

Vember

frozen drinking water
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 00:43 »
That's not an easy one :lol:

I think I have read some info on here somewhere about using a water heater from a fish tank :? Although that will need electricity :(

I shall go have a look around :D

Sarah :)

Vember

frozen drinking water
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 00:47 »
Found a couple of things on here, there is a link from Foxy to some heater pads (5th post down) & Aunt Sally(even further down) mentions the fish tank heater :D

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=26974

Sarah :D

poultrygeist

frozen drinking water
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:30 »
Failing that, it's a case of filling the drinker when you let them out and keep an eye on it best you can. Warm water will obviously be better.

Rob 8)

desandchez

frozen drinking water
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38 »
thanks for the replies the only trouble is that the chickens are on the allotment and we have no electricity, seem to remember that warm water freezes quicker than cold :? just trying a tennis ball in a bowl of water,we were wondering about putting sun flower or corn oil into the water,we would appriciate your views on this

Reece

frozen drinking water
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:14 »
Not knowing anything about chickens, I'm a bit reluctant to offer a solution but here goes. Please take it  as a possible answer needing checking. As children we used to keep rabbits and in the winter to stop the water freezing we added a little glucose to the water to lowered the freezing point. It didn't appear to harm the rabbits. It might be worth a try. Can't see that a little sugar water can harm chooks, might be better than being thirsty or constant trips to the allotment.
Give them a handful of seeds and you'll feed them for a day, teach them how to grow food and they'll be down the allotment nattering for ever.

Tessh

frozen drinking water
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:34 »
If you've got enough space try putting the drinker in the hen house. The warmth from the chickens should keep it unfrozen.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
frozen drinking water
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 16:27 »
I have this anxiety too. I have tried keeping a small (2litre) drinker inside the house, but that froze too! and one of the hens wet her tail in the trough and her feathers froze! We have lots of freezing days and I worry on work days as I am out 7.30 - 6.30 so they are asleep when I get home. I have no way of knowing how long their water stays liquid - so far they haven't come to any harm, but it is worrying.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

poultrygeist

frozen drinking water
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 16:41 »
Whereabouts are you Jane-M ?

Is there any electrical supply near your coop ?

Rob 8)

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
frozen drinking water
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 18:47 »
Hi Rob - I'm in North Northumberland 500 feet up - chilly winters. Our house is near the coop, but OH is most reluctanct (ie has put down his foot) to drill through an exterior wall to bring electricity to the outside. I had wondered about constructing some sort of framework to allow me to burn a paraffin cold frame heater under the water container, although I'd have to replace the plastic one with a metal one of course :)

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
frozen water
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 19:35 »
I had heared that a drop of glicerin(not sure on spelling ) in the water would help stop it from freezing

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
frozen drinking water
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 22:01 »
i know that you can get solar powered lights/battery chargers etc...you do you think it would be possible to fiddle about with one enough to charge a fish tank heater???

Porffor

frozen drinking water
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 22:15 »
we're filling daily and adding some hot to keep temp up now and then...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
frozen drinking water
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 22:36 »
I'm not sure that adding sugar is a good idea.  I've always been told that you should not give anything with sugar or salt.

It would take quite a bit of sugar to stop the water from freezing during these cold spells.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
frozen drinking water
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 22:56 »
Movement slows down freezing, a solar water fountain like you get for ponds/water features might work if there is enough light this time of year. Or could run an air line to it, that might be enough. put the pump inside then run a long airline (about 5mm tube) into the bowl to bubble near the surface. It would mean no electric cables outside.

A floating ball can work to leave a gap in a pond, a ping pong ball or two in the bowl maybe? If they nudge it enough when they drink it might stop the surface freezing.

Tam

xx
frozen drinking water

Started by cflossy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 22:37
by MontyTom
xx
Drinking Water

Started by Greg on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 13:50
by Greg
xx
not drinking much water!

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:49
by Craig69
xx
drinking water

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 37 queries.