Sunshine

• 4 Replies

Elcie

Sunshine
« on: December 30, 2008, 20:58 »
I have spent the last two months at work, since I got my greenhouse, looking out of the window and everytime I saw the sun shining thinking 'oh good, the plants in the greenhouse will be happy'.

It is only over the last week on holiday that I have remembered that, in actual fact, my garden doesn't get any sun in the winter months as the sun is too low  :roll:

I am considering heating the greenhouse next winter, but my question is, is this worth it without sun?  Do vegetable plants need the sun, or is it just the heat they need to grow?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Sunshine
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 21:41 »
well, my unheated greenhouse gets half hour a day at this time of year. That's if there is any sun, remember we don't get an awful lot of it in the winter :evil:  :evil:
I still manage to grow winter salads and managing to keep calabrese alive with some fleece so i'm sure you could grow more if you did get heating.
Still wait for someone who does heat theirs to come along with advice :)

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:48 »
Heating a greenhouse even if it only keeps it frost free is always going to give you earlier crops . What you have to weigh up is how much will it cost to heat against the value of the crop. I'd try extra insulation (bubblewrap) and see how much difference that makes be worth putting that in place now . Don't forget first thing Max Min thermometer and see what the current temp is
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

dade

re insulation
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 18:38 »
putting up bubble insulation will further reduce the amount of light for your plants. insulating just the sides of the house would be a better option.
how will you heat your greenhouse? as some forms of heating can work out very expensive especially with these sub zero temps we are experiencing now.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:47 »
You need to insulate the roof as the heat will rise and escape through the glass Whilst the bubble wrap will block some light  the heat gain is more valuable IMHO.

xx
A ray of sunshine!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 18:15
by RichardA
xx
sunshine

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 23:03
by fletch
xx
Sunshine F1 Squash.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Harvesting Hunter & Sunshine Squashes

Started by anne from brittany on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 23:02
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 31 queries.