quarantine pen did not work

• 16 Replies

karlooben

« on: December 22, 2008, 17:00 »
i got to take a risk with all my girls catching this cold as the quarantine pen i built did not work 6 f the girls flew over the top of the wire an the sick one flew out but i cant build it stronger an higher until after boxing day so i got to take the chance  :evil:  and i am not to happy about it so i will get more antiboitics of the vets just in case  . they have apple cider vinegar etc so i am hoping i can keep it at bay { big hope }   :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 17:25 »
Have you clipped their wings Karlooben ?

Failing that, have tried nailing their feet to a plank of wood ?? (joke :oops: )  :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 17:30 »
:lol:  :lol:  why do u always manage to make me laugh  , nope i havent clipped any wings yet dont feel that brave to do something like that i cant even do my dogs claws in case i hurt them .

i do want to build a better one anyway so i will get cracking on that very soon . as for the nails i was going to try superglue  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 17:35 »
:lol:

Maybe you could tie them all together in a chain gang  :lol:

We've not clipped ours but there is a thread somewhere that explains it well. You would need someone to assist in holding and cutting but I don't think it's too difficult.

The last time I clipped our dog's claws, he pulled away and there was blood everywhere :shock:   ...he didn't feel anything so must have missed the nerve but lots of mess. I had to chase him around with a towel before he ruined all the carpets and he thoguht I was just being friendly  :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 17:54 »
thats why i let the vets do it , :lol: . i will find someone to help over the coming weekend i have seen that post will try an find it again .

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 18:09 »
Good luck.  :)

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 18:28 »
think i mite need more then luck  :lol: . will let u know how i get on .

pushrod

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 20:35 »
clipping wings is nothing like cutting claws - no blood, no pain, no problem. you can do it easily with a pair of kitchen scissors. Just tuck the bird under your arm facing backwards and snip the primary (outer) feathers near the wing. If you're doubtful get some one to help but honestly it is easy.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 20:45 »
u dont know me ,  :lol:  but i shall try it  . there is someone on the allotment site who used to keep bantams i know they are different birds but at least shes had experience with handling  and shes already said in the past if i need help then to ask her .

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 23:57 »
Here is an article on how to clip wings along with diagrams and pics.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 06:18 »
thankyou very much for the link  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:52 »
I'm sure you can manage, it's really straightforward. It is immeasurably easier to have a friend to hold the hen when you are first starting out though.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 16:45 »
the 2 sick girls are back in there , today one of them that wasnt to bad now has a swollen face down one side.
i spoke to my friend whos having the boys an hes willing to cull the one with the blocked nostril for me and now i am wandering if its best to let the one with the swollen face go as well,  they are still on antiboitics but they have until saturday to start to recover .

do i struggle to get 2 better an risk the rest of the girls or do i let them go  :?: this is tough for me but i have to do whats right . what u reckon people

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 16:52 »
I can't offer an opinion since I've not had experience of mycoplasma or similar but I sympathise with the decision. Not an east one for you to make i know. :(

Plenty of experienced members to help you though.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 17:05 »
Hi Looby

Tough call :(

I've had hens with mycop, they can recover but can get it just as easily again, it's one of those things that can stay in the hen & show no signs for a while then pop up again :(

The other thing to consider if you were planning to breed from your birds is that it can be passed on to chicks through the egg :(

If it were me I'd let them go :(

Sarah :(

xx
re done quarantine pen

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 16:31
by karlooben
xx
to quarantine or not?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 18:27
by joyfull
xx
Quarantine

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 14:43
by jhub
xx
Quarantine requirements

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 08:25
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 37 queries.