HELP! lame chick

• 18 Replies

bc

HELP! lame chick
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:30 »
Hi, I'm new in here. I've just come to find some answers. Maybe someone in here has some experience??
In October we had 3 baby Brahmas.  It was a natural birth  :tongue2:
The 12wk old kids still sleep under mommy to keep warm.  Yesterday I went out to the coop to find one of my youngin's lame and unable to walk.  The legs don't seem paralyzed and nothing is broken.
Everything else is ok.  Eating (from my hand), breathing, poop are all normal.  However there is a bulge in the chest (maybe just the gizzard?). My thought was that there wasn't enough room under mom and this one caught cold, having just had a snow storm and having eaten less than normal....My husband's thought is Marek virus :(
We are now on day 2 of baby Brahma in the house, next to the chimney, on vitamin supplements. It still sits back on its haunches. Wings and everything else seems fine.
I would greatly appreciate anyones thoughts on this.

Vember

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:08 »
Hi Bc

Welcome to the Hen House :D

The bulge you describe was it there first thing in the morning before the little one ate anything?
It could be that the little one has an impacted crop :?

Sarah :D

woodburner

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 13:53 »
At twelve weeks they don't need to go under mum any more. Something is definitley wrong though, and you've done the right thing isolating her. TBH I'd be worried about Marek's too. How is the rest of the flock?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Jellyhead

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 14:27 »
Hi there fellow Frenchy :wink: how is chick doing? could it be impacted crop :? or has the bulge disappeared?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
HELP! lame chick
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 17:31 »
If the crop is impacted it could have turned into sour crop too. Have a good whiff of the chick's beak. if it smells very bad this could be it.The reason for not walking could be Botulism poisoning from the soured grain.

bc

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 18:51 »
WOW! Thanks for all the input.  I've just verified all of my flock and they all have the same gulf ball sized bulge, adults as well. So, today I learned about the crop! (im a noob) Though I don't know how to determine if it is impacted or sour. Ironically, we call her "Pew Pew" but she smells ok. The other 2 babies and 3 adults are all fine. Normally I would agree that they are too old to be sleeping under the hen's wings, but I can't blame them. Its so cold where we live, even the coq tries to get under there!
I am stumped.  She seems strong and healthy. She just can't walk upright.  She just sort of scootches around using her wings to balance.  :cry:

WR1

• Experienced Member
HELP! lame chick
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 18:54 »
PICSSSSS
Pleasee
 :oops:

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

bc

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 19:49 »
I couldnt figure out how to upload pics so here is a video on youtube:
q6Susa7Hs0Q

Also, I took a good look at the crop and there is grain visible through her this skin. We haven't given her grain for 3 days now.  She has been on a "pate a pew pew" diet: egg and couscous with vitamin supplement. Anyone know how long it should take to digest whole grain?

bc

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 19:53 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
Hi there fellow Frenchy :wink:

Bonjour! tête à confiture. Where in SW France are you? I'm in Auvergne.

Vember

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 19:53 »
I would have thought the grain should have gone by now  :shock:

There is a section here about crop problems, towards the end of the first post by Aunt Sally :)

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

Sarah :D

Jellyhead

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 19:56 »
Quote from: "bc"
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
Hi there fellow Frenchy :wink:

Bonjour! tête à confiture. Where in SW France are you? I'm in Auvergne.

we are in Lot-et-Garonne Dept 47, quite a way from you :D Still if ever you are down this way pop in :D

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
HELP! lame chick
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 20:02 »
Sounds like an impaction, that crop should be empty in the mornig after a night of sleeping.  I would try some Olive oil and a crop massage as the first step. Here is a lot of info on an impacted crop that includes how to use the vegtable oil and how to do a crop massage.

http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1188

It's a very long read but it may help you out.

Foxy

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 21:32 »
TBH I think that the crop impaction could be one problem and the lameness another, or they maybe are connected. Is there any swelling aroung the hocks?

Kate and her Ducks

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 21:37 »
Could it have injured it's leg(s)? Just the way it is moving reminds me of my drake after he was injured by a fox.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

bc

HELP! lame chick
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
TBH I think that the crop impaction could be one problem and the lameness another, or they maybe are connected. Is there any swelling aroung the hocks?

There's no swelling, no injury, no infestation, at least nothing visible.

Pew Pew just got a helping of olive oil and a massage just in case. We'll withhold food and check in the am and pray we don't have to attempt that regurgitation trick. Frankly, I dont have the confidence to perform such a maneuver. I tend to agree that the lameness could be separate. I'm hoping she just got cold and dehydrated during the snow storm. So, we're making her "chicken soup": water, vitamin supplements, and olive oil.

Thank you everybody for the input and info.  I'll keep u posted.

xx
Lame Chick

Started by SoniaBA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 19:38
by min200
xx
new chick with a lame leg !

Started by Barnsley-Bill on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 20:57
by joyfull
xx
Lame Hen

Started by PinkTequila on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 09:09
by PinkTequila
xx
Lame Hen

Started by browntrouty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 09:53
by splash101

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 29 queries.