It's war

• 29 Replies

Parsnip

It's war
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 14:10 »
Why doesn't he want another Cat purplebean?

I'm sure we can all give you ideas, I've got four kitty's and know various methods of persuasion including the emotional blackmail route... :wink:  :wink:

Actually thats not strictly true, as he is a daft about cats as me.. :roll:  :D

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
It's war
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 14:15 »
Get in touch with your Cat Protection League and, once he's heard the sob stories on how cruel some people can be, he'll let you come home with 3!
Val
Recipes Galore!

Parsnip

It's war
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 14:28 »
I'm just about to start working with the CP but I'm not in your area PB.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
It's war
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 14:39 »
My daughter volunteers for CPL in Batley, which may be quite close to you. They're not homing any cats until after x-mas though for obvious reasons. Take your OH along with you in the New Year and he'll be persuaded.

purplebean

It's war
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 16:14 »
To be fair it's not that he doesn't want a cat, he loves cats and would gladly have one. He just says that our lives are too hectic right now to get one. I think our lives are always hectic and adding a  ball of fluff won't make much difference  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
It's war
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 16:20 »
Quote from: "purplebean"
To be fair it's not that he doesn't want a cat, he loves cats and would gladly have one. He just says that our lives are too hectic right now to get one. I think our lives are always hectic and adding a  ball of fluff won't make much difference  :)

I know how you feel.

Re-winding a few weeks, it was nice and peaceful here, just me and Mrs Digger.

Then daughter no. 1 arrived back from Cardiff.

Then mother arrived.

Three generations under one modest roof. What difference did my Christmas present from daughter - another 3 cats make?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
It's war
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 20:42 »
Cats are ideal for hectic people IMHO they are friendly and soothing, like company but on their terms, so if your away for a few hours they usually don't mind.

We went out a couple of months back and did not realise Henry( our tom cat) was asleep on the chair, 4 hours later we returned turned the burglar alarm off and found him asleep in the chair. So he obviously had  not moved in all that time  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SG6

It's war
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 20:53 »
No idea if a cat is a sensible option at this time but I found that the local squirrel that visited me stopped digging holes to hid nuts in when I dug in and added lots of pelleted chicken manure to the veg patch.

I can only assume that the smell put him/her off. Could be worth a try as it is harmless to the squirrel, just so long as it works for yours and that you don't mind the smell yourself.

Parsnip

It's war
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 08:58 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Cats are ideal for hectic people IMHO they are friendly and soothing, like company but on their terms, so if your away for a few hours they usually don't mind.

We went out a couple of months back and did not realise Henry( our tom cat) was asleep on the chair, 4 hours later we returned turned the burglar alarm off and found him asleep in the chair. So he obviously had  not moved in all that time  :roll:

I agree Richy! The only thing I wouldn't do it  is get a kitten though.

Cats spend about 18 hrs a day sleeping anyway. As long as they have a nice warm place to sleep, a full belly and a cuddle everyday, you've got a contented Cat. So tell him that one doesn't wash either.. :wink: rescue is the way to go.. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
It's war
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06 »
Quote from: "Parsnip"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

I agree Richy! The only thing I wouldn't do it  is get a kitten though.

Cats spend about 18 hrs a day sleeping anyway. As long as they have a nice warm place to sleep, a full belly and a cuddle everyday, you've got a contented Cat. So tell him that one doesn't wash either.. :wink: rescue is the way to go.. :D

Great Idea Parsnip, there's some wonderful cats looking for a new home for Christmas.  :D

purplebean

It's war
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 20:48 »
We won't get a kitten. Once I have persuaded him we will get two older cats that need to stay together. (That's my plan at least ssshhhh)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
It's war
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "purplebean"
We won't get a kitten. Once I have persuaded him we will get two older cats that need to stay together. (That's my plan at least ssshhhh)

:wink:  your secrets safe with us, nice idea tho' we have brother and sister. Sometimes it's like WW3 others like a hippi peace camp all lolling about sniffing catnip  :roll:

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
Re: It's war
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 23:47 »

I'm not offended I was concerned Purplebean might be, but clearly not.

Excuse me butting-in late here. How can you be offended for someone else? Surely if someone is offended, it's up to them to make an issue of it?
I get offended by what people say all the time. for example 'anthropomorphic global warming is the biggest threat that we face', 'Gordon Brown knows what he's doing'. but I wouldn't presume to judge what other people might think. That's the whole point about free speech - sometimes you have to accept that other people don't share your views.

spinny

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 00:01 »
But Squirrels are Vegans too but they will Kill eachother in certain circumstances.

Don't feel guilty.

You don't have to eat them.

You can't  possibly justify getting a cat that will kill loads of innocent garden birds and then say you aren't willing to kill a squirrel which is vermin.

Unless you keep the cat locked indoors all day,which raises other issues. :ohmy:

I'm baffled.? :blink:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 00:09 by vegmandan »
Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

horsepooisgood

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 07:30 »
I like this idea of keeping cats to scare off the squirrels, few questions though.

What is their ideal slaughter weight?

What is the best way to cook them?

I quite like the idea of putting them on kebab skewers but would they cook okay?

Page created in 0.956 seconds with 29 queries.