glyphosate based weedkillers

• 6 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
« on: December 11, 2008, 16:31 »
Is it worth using them at this time of year or should I wait until the spring?

Thanks
Faff free zone!

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 16:41 »
You need to wait until the weeds are in active growth so it's better to wait until springtime.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 17:48 »
Thanks thought as much just impatient and want to get my new plot sorted.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 18:40 »
On things like couch grass there is often enough green leaf in the Winter to take glyphosate in, and if the weather turns mild for a spell it will work.

The limiting factors are that the leaves need to be dry when it is applied and there needs to be at least 6 hours without rain afterwards. Rain will also include heavy dew.

In practice this means wait until the Spring.

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 19:03 »
Bazh - please consider this option!  During the winter months, digging & pulling up the weeds & grass roots are much easier and probably better in the long run, as these are fairly dormant now.  By spring time you will have the ground nicely turned over and areas fairly weed free for the new growing season.  

If you wait until then to start using glyphosate, you will find yourself playing catch up all the time and even more depressing, having to deal with a new crop of annual weeds sprouting from dormant seeds (we all get these when soil is turned over) as the soil warms up (glyphosate will have no effect on the actual seed)  Worse still, if you have bindweed, I have found this to emerge much later when most of your crop is in the ground so using blanket weedkiller over large areas is out of the question.

To add to the delay, you should ideally wait a couple of weeks or more for the glyphosate to take effect, AND biodegrade so that you can safely plant out - when the weather is lovely and warm, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't tackle some of the weeding and digging much earlier in the year while things were quiet.

So, nothing is really stopping you from getting your new plot sorted now  :wink:   In my opinion it is the best time to have got a plot so that you are all ready for the big sow and planting out  :D

Good luck with your new plot!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:09 »
Paintedlady thank you for you advice, I will be digging and weeding through the winter to remove as much as possible, but fully expect that once spring comes and everything comes back to life that I will have to give it a dose of glyphosate it really is that infested.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 21:39 »
Who says that there is an off season for gardening when you have couch grass?  :(

xx
aminopyralid and other weedkillers in strawbales?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 20:53
by Spr0ut
xx
Non-toxic weedkillers and insecticides

Started by Rob the rake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2022, 09:41
by rowlandwells
xx
Rhubarb based insecticide?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 14:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
banning peat based compost 2024

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 17, 2023, 19:06
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 27 queries.