A shortage of shavings.

• 12 Replies

Bodger

A shortage of shavings.
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:57 »
I found something out yesterday that was quite interesting.

For the last few weeks the Wynnstay depots in our area havent had any bales of shavings in stock . The ones that they've eventually stocked are not the same brand as we used to have , are far more expensive and totally unsuitable for purpose.

Yesterday I went along to our local forestry business and got loads of shavings at a reasonable price. They make all sorts of products from their own trees there on site. I got chatting to the guy there and told him of the problems that I'd been having getting hold of shavings. He then explained to me whats been happening in the world of shavings supply.
The big shavings companys in the past, have simply been approaching the big building companies and offering to remove all their waste wood for free and then putting it through chipping machines. With the credit crunch and recession there simply isn't a lot of building going on, hence the shortage of shavings.

poultrygeist

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 13:09 »
It's the ripple effect in operation. One event has a knock on to a dozen other unrelated events.

I'm sure we'll be seeign a few other changes we didn't expect.

Better buy some in before we get to the bottom of the bin. Thanks for the warning.

Rob 8)

Sassy

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 17:49 »
Certainly locally to us, I cannot comment on elsewhere, but the poor summer and problems with harvest means there is a very short supply of straw suitable for horses, so many people are opting for shavings putting more pressure on supply.   :(  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

karlooben

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 17:55 »
i have known of this in my area for most of this year ., my whole yard was shavings only but i went on to straw as i can get loads of that for cheap as i was wasnt going to pay £7 for my horses to pee an poo on shavings per week.{ or £10.00 per bale }  :shock: . now my whole yard as converted to straw and thats something i would never believe would happen

:lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Bodger

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 18:03 »
Straw is better for the muck heap. Shavings take forever to rot down but  are much easier to clean out. I am currently mucking out three of my daughters horses so I'm speaking from experience. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

karlooben

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 18:20 »
a little tip to makes things easier .

i would of never dreamt of  using these { stable matts } we get ours for £8 each not the catoglue price of £30 or more each. and they are so wonderfull to clear out ,in one stable i have one half for  deep littering an the other half matts works so well.

if u could get hold of them i would suggest u give them a try .

Roughlee Handled

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 19:48 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Straw is better for the muck heap. Shavings take forever to rot down but  are much easier to clean out. I am currently mucking out three of my daughters horses so I'm speaking from experience. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I Bodger have just come in from mucking out my other halfs 3 horses and we use a  oil seed rape stem product "nedz bedz" we use the pro version less dust.  It rots down quickly.  The only thing I have found is that it is not as absorbent as shavings so I don not use it for the chickens.  Made in Preston so close local company for local people.
http://www.nedz.co.uk  

Prices have gone up after this summer and the wet weather which means that allot of oil seed rape had rotted in the field.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:54 »
All bedding is now short and will only get worse. The bad summer weather  means that straw is scarce and usually poor quality and rapestraw is scarce. Imported shavings and hemp products are more expensive because of the weak pound. Bedding products from waste materials such as shavings, paper and cardboard are all scarce and rising in price due to significant reduction in manufacturing.

My advice - buy now as much as you can afford and store. It's not going to get any easier for a long time yet.

karlooben

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 16:37 »
thats why in a way i am glad we use the stable matts as u really dont need no where near as much bedding as u normally would use. mine are being deep littered for the winter but after that it will be just the matts and only a handfull of bedding to soak up any wet .

happy chick

• Experienced Member
A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 16:44 »
I used rubber matting for my neddy too in the past and it was the best thing.  She was a really dirty mare and would have been on about 3 to 4 bales a week without the mats.  Greedy too and ate the straw  :evil: Bless her!
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

Bodger

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 16:48 »
Ours are on rubber matting but the daughter who must be obeyed insists that they have a skittering of shavings on top of them.

karlooben

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 17:11 »
my big horse benson has started eating the straw so he may have to go back on shavings. for the time being we are pretty lucky as i have 4 suppliers to choice from an they do their hardest enver to run out of anything  heheehe shouldnt speak to soon should i :wink:

Roughlee Handled

A shortage of shavings.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 18:29 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Ours are on rubber matting but the daughter who must be obeyed insists that they have a skittering of shavings on top of them.

Same here Bodger.  Though not daughter.  After standing on rubber matting for a while you certainly notice the difference in heat loss through the feet so must make a difference. Also more comfortable.

xx
Oak Shavings

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 18:19
by Mrs Bee
xx
Wood Shavings

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:46
by min200
xx
Straw vs shavings

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:45
by Piglit's Pullets
question
softwood shavings

Started by akwebb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 09:10
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 29 queries.